Active Topics

New Nokia acquisition, news at http://www.brighthand.com/article/No...ng_Intellisync

An interesting addition to the Nikoa portfolio, attacking the market RIM is dominating and Microsoft is desperate to get into,

good news....see my previous post about push email.......If only the 770 had that, then life would be perfect

It is, isn't it. I know in theory you can keep a GPRS connection open without incurring costs, other than downloaded data, and Blackberry's are supposed to use GPRS. But I don't think we'll see it on 770s, more likely on all their bigger, more capable, phones.

Originally Posted by fietske
good news....see my previous post about push email.......If only the 770 had that, then life would be perfect
Blackberry, Intellisync? Yeach, horrible proprietary stuff. Both the IETF's LEMONADE group and the Open Mobile Alliance are working on that sort of functionality, and much more, based on existing protocol extensions (IMAP).

As Nokia are active on both groups I wouldn't be surprised to see the results of those deliberations filter through to Nokia devices. The 770 with its open dev platform and nice wide screeen would be a natural early recipient for a client supporting an open standards approach to these issues.

I personally suspect that Nokia's purchase of Intellisync has more to do with getting their hands on their customers and the skills necessary to move into the 'blackberry' market than any love of Intellisync's technology.

WillS

PS: I should declare an interest here, my company also has a representative on the IETF group.