Active Topics

Unfortunately this is still the same problem:
software with no platform to put it on.

I would rather see Maemo Fremantle working on a Nexus 5
than to revisit all the old headaches of getting some new paradigm to work.

Elop burned down the platform, but Maemo still exists.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

i'm a kde fanboi (typing this from a laptop running opensuse), and I'm happy they have a new mobile project, but the most exciting thing for me in this announcement is the possibility of shashlik on sailfish for nexus5 style users.

sailfish, a QT based GUI running a (mer) linux core.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
i'm a kde fanboi (typing this from a laptop running opensuse), and I'm happy they have a new mobile project, but the most exciting thing for me in this announcement is the possibility of shashlik on sailfish for nexus5 style users.

sailfish, a QT based GUI running a (mer) linux core.
It may be interesting to know that with shashlik (when it will work properly), will allow you to use android programs on the desktop as well, which may be useful as well. Or on a standard linux distribution anyway, so maybe a raspberry pi running android apps in addiotion to native applications would be feasible.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Can't find what dist this is based on? I hope it's MER and not yet another dist.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Can't find what dist this is based on? I hope it's MER and not yet another dist.
Ubuntu Touch, from what I've read.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
According to this diagram from here:

it should be OS independent.

However, the first preview includes Kubuntu images, which means neither Mer, nor Ubuntu Touch (which uses Mir instead).

Also, there's some interesting information in this blog post, such as that Plasma Mobile requires running XWayland (for KWin), which on one hand makes it harder to port it to SailfishOS (no usable XWayland there AFAIK), but would also mean support for traditional GTK2/Qt4 apps once the toolkits are available.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Also, there's some interesting information in this blog post, such as that Plasma Mobile requires running XWayland (for KWin), which on one hand makes it harder to port it to SailfishOS (no usable XWayland there AFAIK), but would also mean support for traditional GTK2/Qt4 apps once the toolkits are available.
KWin doesn't require XWayland, it provides XWayland. Wayland is actually just a protocol, which must be implemented in a compositor. It is different from Xorg where the X server and the compositor where two separate things. SailfishOS has its own Wayland compositor based on QtWayland which doesn't provide XWayland. Plasma Mobile uses KWin, which support both Wayland applications and X applications through XWayland. Porting Plasma mobile to Mer should be quite easy. They said their first builts were on Mer, but that they moved to Ubuntu because several people in their team were already familiar with Ubuntu's build system for working on Kubuntu.

edit: After reading this blog, it seems that I am wrong. There is a XWayland library, so it is not just a protocol. I think the fact SailfishOS doesn't support XWayland is still because of QtWayland, but don't quote me on this, things seems to be more complicated than I thought it was.

Last edited by AGui; 2015-07-30 at 12:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AGui For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by AGui View Post
KWin doesn't require XWayland, it provides XWayland. Wayland is actually just a protocol, which must be implemented in a compositor. It is different from Xorg where the X server and the compositor where two separate things. SailfishOS has its own Wayland compositor based on QtWayland which doesn't provide XWayland. Plasma Mobile uses KWin, which support both Wayland applications and X applications through XWayland. Porting Plasma mobile to Mer should be quite easy. They said their first builts were on Mer, but that they moved to Ubuntu because several people in their team were already familiar with Ubuntu's build system for working on Kubuntu.
Not sure it's easy I guess they can't use current Qt version in MER middleware since it's 5.1 and plasma use 5.4. So they have to have different repo for almost everything? I could be wrong...

Looks quite promising, and very clearly at a stage far beyond initial proof of concept, as I think some were expecting (me partially included).

I'll be interested to see just how interoperable it and UT (with default Unity) prove to be, and how much of its underpinnings are UT.

Shashlik has the potential to be a huge boon to all alt.OS proprietors.

Comparing it to Sailfish, it's quite depressing that this first look at it reveals far more about Plasma Mobile to potential users than any video produced by Jolla about Sailfish and its UI thus far (anything - not, just 2.0).

Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
It may be interesting to know that with shashlik (when it will work properly), will allow you to use android programs on the desktop as well, which may be useful as well. Or on a standard linux distribution anyway, so maybe a raspberry pi running android apps in addiotion to native applications would be feasible.
Be nice to have a replacement for BlueStacks (on Windows) too, if it can be ported. BS is an absolute dog, but also the only game in town.