Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
afaik it's not even possible to test Opengl ES 2.0 applications with SDK alone. You would need some real hardware to see if anything works
Duncan Cragg has a way.

My approach is that I just run the PowerVR SDK in the X86 mode. I notice that the lib/.h files have now arrived for cross-compiling to ARM.

By the way, it's amazing how many levels and layers you can go through.

In case anyone else is put off trying it: I run in X86 SDK mode to the PVR ES 2.0 emulation lib, which presumably uses the X86 SDK's GL libraries and then goes to the Xephyr X11 app. This then runs into my Ubuntu's X11, which is created by VMWare inside Windows XP inside a laptop with Intel Graphics chips. (So I'm not expecting great performance! But it works fine for testing. =0) I get "direct rendering: Yes" from glxinfo inside my VMWare guest, so there's a slight chance that there is some acceleration going on somewhere in the pipes...
I don't want to wait until the hardware is released for people to start porting 3D apps!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
So can we use any of the information here for Maemo 5?

OpenGL ES for SDL 1.3 (Pandora)

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Ok, well just got a response from Kimmo Hämäläinen in the developers mailing list. Looks like there won't be any GL games in Maemo for a while.

I guess the good news is that he's working on it.

Originally Posted by Kimmo Hämäläinen
Yes, [there is currently] about 30% penalty [for GL ES applications] with the [Hildon desktop] compositor, but I'm working on "non-composited" or "game mode" for hildon-desktop that allows shutting down the compositor and rendering directly to the screen (without killing hildon-desktop). I still need to get it working with dialogs and menus popping on top of the non-composited application, but I guess it'll work in the end somehow.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
The other good news that he mentions in one of his posts is that hildon-desktop will be open-source, so we should be able to fix it to allow game playing or whatever else (by whatever method we choose).

Isn't hildon-desktop open source already?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Probably yes, but no hw accel atm so is a moot point

I didn't think that it was good news when he said, "it will be open source; fix it yourself," I think that was a frustrated response to my comment, "That's disappointing," but I did think his response that he's working on it is good news.

I think that I should quote my answer to this question also this Forum:

I have been having several presentations to maemo community how to use OpenGL-ES in maemo
You can find them from my blog http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/ka...rum-nokia-blog
It is ot so much question of transition libraries but understanding what is OpenGL-ES and
how it relates to desktop OpenGL

I checked pandora wiki http://pandorawiki.org/Development_tutorials . It looks a like
they are having very similar approach, no silver bullet OpenGL to OpenGL-ES translation library
but just OpenGL-ES1.1 tutorial and example how to use OpenGL-ES with SDL.
I have had my tutorials about how to use OpenGL-ES2.0 and how to use it with Qt .

If you read http://pandorawiki.org/OpenGL_ES_1.1_Tutorial . It tells a lot what is
the qestion. There is just no single "OpenGL" but desktop OpenGL has many, many
legacy layers of API's . Mobile OpenGL implements only the most efficient subset of them.
Because there is hundreds of ways to use OpenGL, there is no simple way to convert.

The pandora OpenGL-ES1.1 wiki tries to explain ( as i had in my presentations/blog and maemo wiki page )
that as example OpenGL has legacy API glBegin/glVertex/gEnd that are obsoleted in OpenGL-ES
and OpenGL-ES only supports way to pass vertexes as array. Of course passing them as array is much
more efficient, just one API call with big number of vertexes as opposed one call for one coordinate point.
That just an example what is the difference.

For game developer it is much more sense port the application to use vertex arrays because it is
more efficient also in desktop.

When we go to OpenGL-ES2.0 or Desktop OpenGL-2.0, we have thing called programmable shaders.
OpenGL1.x or OpenGL-ES1.x has fixed function non programmable pipeline doing transformations and lighting.
In OpenGL-(ES)2.0 it is all programmable and it offers much more features to make much better
looking games. I strongly recommend to take it in use.

If you still would like use fixed function pipeline to port old not so advanced games, you can
still use OpenGL-ES1.x emulation libraries in maemo. I hope that we can get them in to next
SDK release.

Kate

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kate For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Looks like there won't be any GL games in Maemo for a while.
Port games to OpenGL ES 2.0 and they will work. Last week I saw a proof of concept and I was impressed.

That is excellent news. It is good to hear that this is being addressed inside Maemo, and clearly it is intended to be ready by the time hardware is released.

Tags
fremantle, n900, nanogl, opengl