Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Discussion at this thread got me thinking-- maybe we need some sort of incentive for developers to maintain projects in Garage or Other. This can range from punitive ("Sorry, this app was not Garaged managed so it cannot be installed" to suggestive ("Warning: app was not Garaged managed. Continue anyway?") to laudatory ("This app was proudly Garaged! managed").

What are the thoughts on this, and does Garage/Maemo [or Other] support the sort of technology needed? I'm thinking it's almost a must...

EDIT: note that I do not mean to exclude any other official content repository or management mechanism.

EDIT 2: guess Edit 1 was not enough... sigh.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-08-15 at 22:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
You seem to think that all programs should be hosted in Garage. Why?

There is already http://wiki.maemo.or/Extras_reposito...ess_definition which is for improving quality of packages is Extras.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Ok, don't get too fired up-- it was a general idea and I just used Garage as the main example-- but that would not exclude Extras. I'm looking more for feedback on the concept, not axle-wrapping over details.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Eh.. I see what you're trying to do here, but I don't think that's the way to go about it.

Instead of giving the developer incentive to continue working on his projects, it looks like it punishes the user for wanting to install something outside of Garage. Yet another dialog box when I'm installing something?

Perhaps added Karma for a project for each major release/update? (I say "major" because I don't want people spamming updates for Karma.)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Discussion at this thread got me thinking-- we need some sort of incentive for developers to maintain projects in Garage.
Why? Garage is appropriate for certain projects, but certainly not for all of them (if even most of them).

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Why? Garage is appropriate for certain projects, but certainly not for all of them (if even most of them).
I get the feeling one of my posts and an edit are invisible...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Eh.. I see what you're trying to do here, but I don't think that's the way to go about it.

Instead of giving the developer incentive to continue working on his projects, it looks like it punishes the user for wanting to install something outside of Garage. Yet another dialog box when I'm installing something?

Perhaps added Karma for a project for each major release/update? (I say "major" because I don't want people spamming updates for Karma.)
Thanks for seeing.

Just looking for incentive to maintain projects in formal environments (not just Garage!!!!) where, if the original developer drops it, someone else can easily pick it up.

If this is a disincentive, then I daresay I don't want that person's product.

Anyway, I'm not religious about my suggestions-- just looking for workable solutions to what I see as a major stumbling block. I do find it disappointing that 2 responses so far are focusing on trees when I'm talking forest.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Just looking for incentive to maintain projects in formal environments (not just Garage!!!!) where, if the original developer drops it, someone else can easily pick it up.
Do you feel "Task:Karma for applications", particularly "Frequency of updates" and "Number of contributors in Garage", is moving maemo.org in a direction approximating that which you're wanting? If so, how do you feel the task could be improved further? If not, how is the task failing to strive for the goals you're seeing?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
I think Karma is a great idea for this purpose... I was just wondering if something stronger might be feasible and useful, at least for perhaps a "premier" tier of apps. I may be just nuts based on responses though. If so, ignore me, I'll shut up eventually.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I think Karma is a great idea for this purpose... I was just wondering if something stronger might be feasible and useful, at least for perhaps a "premier" tier of apps. I may be just nuts based on responses though. If so, ignore me, I'll shut up eventually.
I didn't intend to suggest to keep quiet or go away. I simply pointed to an in-progress effort that seemed related to your stated goals, an effort of which you may not have been aware.

So, exploring further, you mentioned "badging". Would a collection of small icons, appearing on application pages within Download and, perhaps eventually, within Application Manager, help? I'm visualizing small, simple, representative images, along the lines of those used to indicate Creative Commons protections/freedoms.

So, off the top of my head:
  • free-as-in-beer/shareware/commercial trial/commercial
  • non-subscription/free-as-in-beer subscription/commercial subscription
  • OSI approved license/public domain/closed
  • developed in repository readable by public/not

Warmer or colder?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: