Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Yep, they are on irc ,
just for the immediate they have been very busy with explaining and promoting the neo at camp.
I think that once back..
unloaded and unpacked from camp ..
there will be more time for them to respond to questions that they just haven't been able to get to.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jyezie View Post
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=neo900
Aren't they on IRC?
Oh I didn't know that the most discussion and audience could be found on IRC.
Then this should be anounced here so some followers can move there.

I don't want to be to harsh with my former post. And I know preparing for a meeting and going there eats a lot of time and it is a small team.
This should only be seen as a hint. I don't want that someone feel what I am describe.

For example one question is already one month ago...

However thank you very much for the time and energy you three guys put into this project. I hope so much that the project will succeed.

I realy enjoyed the talk. If it would be possible to buy a ticket at the camp I would have had a visit because it is very close to my home.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
It is nice that many things from this project are open and viewable for us but that questions get ignored and the feedback gets
very rare in the last time it is negative for the whole situation of the project.
Looking at some last posts here, it does look like ignoring certain questions. Sorry! That was just an unfortunate coincidence. During last days we all have been busy and/or not really online and we were just coming here with an explicit intention to post something.

For example, when I saw a post here about shop issue, it was a top priority to respond and get some info. However, seeing a question about price or deadline made me thing "I think Joerg will have more accurate answer, I'll leave it to him", so I didn't respond.

For now, please check out the IRC logs, especially this part: http://irclog.whitequark.org/neo900/2015-08-20#13761298

Last edited by dos1; 2015-08-21 at 22:50.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Sorry for the silence, neo900 fans!
I just somewhat completed the cccamp15 enterprise and just had a first continuous 8h of sleep during last 5 weeks or so. A little more of that is needed but I'll come back here answering all the questions until end this week.

camp was pretty exhausting but nice and motivating the whole crew. werner brought FOUR spacerframe prototypes We found a new team member Antiatom (maybe he'll change his nick, dunno about such details yet). Super talks by Antiatom, Werner, and Paulk of Replicant.

I just managed to split N900 (aka mech parts, for complete devices) preorders into a two batches. So we might be able to get the preorders satisfied now and still get more preorders after that (though not for too long, maybe 2 months). I'm planning to do first bulk shopping (maybe 200 N900) end of this month, so if you want to be part of that warranted parts purchase and you didn't preorder and down payment (PARTIAL payment) for complete device in shop yet, please hurry :-)

more to come, stay tuned.
cheers
jOERG

http://lists.en.qi-hardware.com/pipe...st/010956.html

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2015-08-22 at 01:37.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Due to capital controls in Greece payments cant be made.
Could the community please consider a bitcoin-kind alternative?
Is that feasible or there are legal obstacles.

Thanks

@joerg_rw

Don't think so but just asking to be sure :

Is there a variant of the modem which has 4G (LTE TDD on band 38 LTE TD 2600), as my actual provider is starting to build his 4G network and for some reason he decided to use that technology (I'm in eastern Europe, so it is a weird decision as most of European countries use FDD)?

I will also need 3G on 900 MHz and 2100 MHz, so the modem has to have that too.

I already ordered a complete Neo900 with a PLS8-E modem, so if there isn't any variant available with 4G TDD I'll stick to that.

Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Are there any new rough estimates on the release date? Is it likely to hold the neo in our hands before XMas?
The recent estimation on schedule is like * Proto_v3 around new year, either before or after. * Production start first quarter of next year if nothing gets in the way.
We had a terrible delay since February at least, due to a number of causes like setting up webshop and handling vouchers and preorders, managing sourcing issues (now finally solved for the N900 mech parts, see below), and last not least Nikolaus being busy with Pyra which now seems to have finished (Congrats! Looking forward to Dragonbox Pyra).

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
As we received the pre-order window closing ”soon” mail:
it would be nice to know the meaning of soon (is it a Jollaesque soon?).
And the current number of preorders. As well as an updated final price estimation.
TIA

--
oh, and an answer to last post would be nice, too
The preorder window for complete devices originally meant to close a few weeks ago, then got extended to end of this month, then to one month from now, and now I finally managed to negotiate a splitting of N900 orders into two batches of which the first one will get ordered this month and the next one (for late complete device preorders) is not yet fully determined and will probably happen in maybe no sooner than 2 months. For the first batch the risk that the sourcing fails is virtually zero, for the second it's still estimated as being pretty low but higher than for first batch.

current number of preorders:

Neo900 DOWN PAYMENT Neo900 complete device -180
NeoN DOWN PAYMENT NeoN bare board -97
+1EUR Down Payment top up -7899

There's no update on final price estimation yet. The quotes we received so far for BOM didn't reveal any substantial saving opportunities, so the total BOM right now is maybe a 50 bucks lower than we initially calculated, but the real savings will probably come from our production facility company offering a total BOM plus assembly quote to us, which won't happen before maybe end of year.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Really nice talk!

How was the general reception to Neo on CCC?
Did you get more new orders from the campgoers?
There was a lot of acknowledging feedback from the some hundered visitors at Neo village and attendands of the talk. And there was quite a number of people attending the lightning talks. I also tried to help out a few N900 users, alas not always successful since we seen issues like eMMC not mounting anymore. I hope the guy was able to recover his data via rescueOS later on.
I heard several visitors went to our shop preorder page right away while visiting the village, but I can't tell how many new preorders the camp generated (there been a total of roughly 50 new orders during last few weeks) - the majority of them will come in during next weeks anyway, since usually the decision for such a commitment is not made ad hoc.

Originally Posted by aprekates View Post
Due to capital controls in Greece payments cant be made.
Could the community please consider a bitcoin-kind alternative?
Is that feasible or there are legal obstacles.

Thanks
We are about to implement bitcoin payment in shop, dos1 and antiatom are working on it. And I'll now finally sort out the paypal stuff so hoping for that option to return RSN too.
For now dos1 said that worst case he could handle single bitcoin transactions on behalf of Neo900 UG, please contact us via "dos1" <contact at neo900 .org>

Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
@joerg_rw

Don't think so but just asking to be sure :

Is there a variant of the modem which has 4G (LTE TDD on band 38 LTE TD 2600), as my actual provider is starting to build his 4G network and for some reason he decided to use that technology (I'm in eastern Europe, so it is a weird decision as most of European countries use FDD)?

I will also need 3G on 900 MHz and 2100 MHz, so the modem has to have that too.

I already ordered a complete Neo900 with a PLS8-E modem, so if there isn't any variant available with 4G TDD I'll stick to that.
Sorry, we don't have better data available than what's already on http://neo900.org/faq#networks and in the documents linked there. We also don't know of any other modem variants than those listed there. There's a certain chance Gemalto will react on such new requirements for EU modem type if technically feasible, but we didn't hear of any details indicating they will actually do.

cheers
jOERG

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Aug 2015 @ London, UK
Just a quick one.

I was at the #cccamp15 interacting with Joerg, Werner, Nico, dos1... These guys know what they are doing I'm more of a consumer (prefer convenience) but projects like Neo900 should exist and I'm willing to support you along the way!

All the best

(and I really hope that we can work together on optimising payments / downpayments / donations / communication / website process)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stefek99 For This Useful Post:
first teaser PRE-RELEASE version of talk video on
http://neo900.org/stuff/cccamp15/ccc...ak_CCC2015.mkv

Many Thanks to wpwrak aka Werner Almesberger for the excellent talk, and to antiatom for recording and producing something worth watching from such a terrible scene. And sorry to everybody for the thunderstorm and the pitch black it gave us during the talk

Final release version will follow in a few days

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2015-08-29 at 00:20.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
But I hope that somebody collect all Neo900 low level programming information some where.
We will provide a fine manual with all the basic technical details in it, plus a compilation of such hacks like MIDI, plus we're available for inquiries and questions any time for the next few years :-D And then there's this fine forum and a couple of backups thereof.

cheers
jOERG

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!