Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
can i have some clarification? can an overseas landline call my google voice number here in the states? you say the landline must be in the same city as my gv area code? if this is true it makes gv pretty useless for me.

eg friend in australia calls my google voice number - will it have problems forwarding to my phone here in the states
i don't think there would be any problem with that. but they'll charge you a long distance rate if you call him back in australia from your gvoice #.

The Following User Says Thank You to wesgreen For This Useful Post:
Yeah if both of you are outside of North America, then you are better off with straight VOIP<=>VOIP.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
thats what I thought - although the OP confused me a bit

Landline => Computer need to be very careful. GV number MUST not be long distance for landline. Area code native is not sufficient, usually must be same city, see telco contract for details.
I took 'computer' to mean n800

thanks

Last edited by overfloat; 2009-09-06 at 03:39.

LOL!, I am the OP.

Sorry for being confusing. I did not mean CAN'T but I don't want anyone being charged $$$.

And actually I do mean the computer to be a N800, N810 or desktop computer for that matter.

You see when calling from the tablet you are using Voice Over Internet Protocol.

Now it varies per landline, but at least the last time I checked years ago, AT&T, Verizon, etc. were quite picky about what they consider to be "long distance". I recall the dialup days and I had picked a # within my area code but didn't pick a ISP callout number that was within my city. So they charged me $200! I got rid of my landline after a few of those issues -_-. Now cellphones usually consider any call within your country to be "local" while the new "long distance" being international calls.

So as you are tunneling through GV (in much the same way as we used to tunnel through a phone line to connect to the internet - now we are tunneling through a internet connection for phone calls). Keeping in mind the fine print in your teleco contracts is important so you don't get a huge bill.

GV is really meant to allow people to consolidate their phone lines (plus have a few cool features like transcribed voicemails).

So anyway as far as billing goes. Computer<=>computer like any other half-decent SIP service doesn't cost a penny. Computer => landline doesn't cost a penny (landlines aren't charged for received calls). Computer => cellphone costs the cell user anytime minutes (depending on their plan; it's same as any other phone call to them). Cellphone => computer is the same. Cellphone <=> cellphone affects both users plans. (that is the nature of billing in the US; I realize this is a o_O moment to those in Europe who are only charged for outgoing calls/text but in the US charged for calling and receiving as well as sending and receiving SMS!) Landline => computer/cellphone/landline well, remember you aren't calling direct. What the landline is calling is the Google Voice #. So what is considered long distance matters only in regards to whether or not that GV# is long distance or not.

Now if you don't care about your landline/cellphone carrier charging you for long distance, then this is all irrelevant (please also consider charges to the people you are calling/receiving).

The extend of the N. America limitations are as follows:
* Must register invite code with gmail account from a US/Canada IP address.
* Must register one (can be disabled but not deleted; can be replaced with an equal one though) US/Canada "physical" phone. Physical means landline or cellphone (however, this tutorial is about using a US SIP/VOIP number to fake this)
* Calls must be routed through a US/Canada cellphone, landline, or Gizmo "phone"
* Outgoing number (for billing AND callerID purposes) is a US phone number.

If that is not clear, well then, ummm check your phone's contract.

As far as "australia calls my google voice number [here in the States]" yes I am combining two quotes. In that situation. Your Australian friend should get a GV account (borrow it?) and call you using a computer using GV+Gizmo (their end).

I know that seems useless to you. I originally including the international use portion because someone on this forum was stationed in Japan and wanted to call their friends/family back home in the USA using their N810.

I suppose to simplify this:

If you are outside the US/Canada call/receive using a computer/N8X0.

If you are within the US/Canada you may call/receive using cellphone/landline (being careful to choose a "safe" GV #)/computer (N810 or desktop).

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
I understand, and my friend would know he was calling the US - but Google voice isn't just about free calls - it's about the other features such as ringing all my phones and my n800 etc.

i just wanted to know if they'd be able to ring me, i guess i was confused because you said "GV number MUST not be long distance for landline" instead of "standard distance charges apply" or something

The Following User Says Thank You to overfloat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Thanks for this. The instructions are really detailed and were no doubt the result of a great deal of work.

Unfortunately I am getting lost in it all. I just want to enable VOIP calling on my tablet using Google Voice, Gizmo and/or DialCentral and just having an exasperating time.

I can call out from the tablet using Gizmo, but cannot hear the person responding (they hear me). Searching on the subject led me to believe my firewall could be the culprit... so I followed instructions to open the necessary ports and no improvement. This worked last year without any firewall configuration.

Here is what I found on ports:

•Incoming UDP port 5005 (RTCP - Real Time Control Protocol)
•Incoming UDP port 64064 (Gizmo default for SIP messaging)
•Incoming UDP port 5004 (Gizmo default for RTP traffic (the actual voice messages)
•Outgoing TCP port 7070 (SRS relay and Jabber protocol)
•All outgoing UDP ports above 1023
My FIOS router (Westell) does not distinguish between incoming and outgoing ports for forwarding... as far as I can tell. I have tried "Any -> 5004", "5004 -> 5004" and neither has any effect.

I obtained a Gizmo number long ago, and it also worked last year... but now Gizmo does not respond to calls in to the tablet. Nothing has changed to the forwarding at Google Voice. Interestingly, if I dial my Gizmo number, I get an error -- if I dial with the area code, a voice tells me I need to include the area code (!!!); if I dial without it, I get "call cannot be completed as dialed". They don't make it completely clear, but Gizmo seems to be stating that numbers now expire if they're not funded periodically-- is this true?

Dialcentral connects to my Google Voice account just fine but when I try to dial any number out, nothing happens.

I'm trying to go back to using gtalk2voip, but even that isn't working right anymore. I wanted to purchase credits via these instructions:

To buy credits you have to:

1. Open your beloved Google Talk, MSN/Live or Yahoo Messenger and type MYPAGE to service@gtalk2voip.com (or to gtalk2voipXXX@yahoo.com).

2. Follow the link you are displayed. This will lead to your personal account page.
...but instead of bringing up an account page for me I get a message letting me know I can send an SMS to my wife!

Ay yi yi... this is beyond exasperating. I just want to be able to make VOIP calls while I'm in Amsterdam, and the process seems to have gotten WORSE since I used it last...

EDIT: this is weird. I can still use Gtalk2voip from the N810 to any Google contacts, but the problem I had with Gizmo is reversed: I hear them on the tablet but they don't hear me on their phone. This is making me nuts...

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-09-23 at 00:54.

Yes I was having similar problems recently.

I ended up using Fring + sipgate. Which works despite a 12 second lag time. That 12 seconds applied to both calling my out of state friend as well as calling my laptop.

I hate those FIOS modem+routers, they don't seem to understand correct port forwarding and really should just be modems.

I'm currently trying to get my friend's Kubuntu install up and running. After that, I'll try giving her a call via Gizmo.

My instructions are mostly for initial set up. But I'd be more than happy to work on getting it functioning correctly for/with you, Texrat.

Thanks.

I know there's a clue in the fact that with Gizmo I can't hear the call recipients (but they hear an echo of their own voice), and with Googletalk+gtalk2voip the recipients can't hear me (I hear an echo of my own voice), but be darned if I can figure it out yet. EIPI and I had similar issues going PC to PC; he heard me but I could not hear him. Odds are it is indeed my router. I am still experimenting with configurations-- searching on the subject has netted nothing useful.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Thanks for this. The instructions are really detailed and were no doubt the result of a great deal of work.

Unfortunately I am getting lost in it all. I just want to enable VOIP calling on my tablet using Google Voice, Gizmo and/or DialCentral and just having an exasperating time.

I can call out from the tablet using Gizmo, but cannot hear the person responding (they hear me). Searching on the subject led me to believe my firewall could be the culprit... so I followed instructions to open the necessary ports and no improvement. This worked last year without any firewall configuration.

Here is what I found on ports:

My FIOS router (Westell) does not distinguish between incoming and outgoing ports for forwarding... as far as I can tell. I have tried "Any -> 5004", "5004 -> 5004" and neither has any effect.

I obtained a Gizmo number long ago, and it also worked last year... but now Gizmo does not respond to calls in to the tablet. Nothing has changed to the forwarding at Google Voice. Interestingly, if I dial my Gizmo number, I get an error -- if I dial with the area code, a voice tells me I need to include the area code (!!!); if I dial without it, I get "call cannot be completed as dialed". They don't make it completely clear, but Gizmo seems to be stating that numbers now expire if they're not funded periodically-- is this true?

Dialcentral connects to my Google Voice account just fine but when I try to dial any number out, nothing happens.

I'm trying to go back to using gtalk2voip, but even that isn't working right anymore. I wanted to purchase credits via these instructions:

...but instead of bringing up an account page for me I get a message letting me know I can send an SMS to my wife!

Ay yi yi... this is beyond exasperating. I just want to be able to make VOIP calls while I'm in Amsterdam, and the process seems to have gotten WORSE since I used it last...

EDIT: this is weird. I can still use Gtalk2voip from the N810to any Google contacts, but the problem I had with Gizmo is reversed: I hear them on the tablet but they don't hear me on their phone. This is making me nuts...
I feel your pain man. Over the last few months making successful calls is turning into a black art.

That been said try making a call via the internet call app (A/V Chat) dial pad. Call your home (select Gizmo in the drop down menu), Gizmo gives you 3 free minutes per call. You should be able to hear audio on both ends if so all is well and there is nothing you can (that I know of) do to make it work by dialing via DialCentral with any reliability. I also use Sipgate (free to setup and use) as an alternate sip to Gizmo. So when I am in Europe and having no luck with GV plus Gizmo I switch to GV plus Sipgate. Remember Gizmo gives you 3 minutes of talking per call no matter where you are and it works most of the time (you get what you pay for ).

Here to help, good luck.

Last edited by heavyt; 2009-09-23 at 00:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
That been said try making a call via the internet call app (A/V Chat) dial pad.
Do you mean the "Internet call" app on the N810? That pulls up Google Talk, which seems to only work with phones if I use gtalk2voip (see problem above). I also don't see a menu option for using Gizmo with it.

Unless I'm missing something?

Tags
dialcentral, gizmo, google voice, gtalk2voip, linphone, sipgate, voip