Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post

And since the N9 doesn't support bluetooth keyboard connections yet, this device is not a smart buy for an N9 owner.
Hi cddiede.

Actually, I've had limited success getting btkb working with N9. The instructions are given in the FMC thread

"How to connect bluetooth keyboard to N9"

Unfortunately it only works as long a the VKB remains in view. That is, if you swipe the VKB off the screen, while leaving the terminal in view, you can no longer enter any keystrokes from the bluetooth keyboard! This kind of defeats the purpose as I generally would like to have a full screen in view while typing. There is a possible fix given in the thread and while I do lots of scientific programing I think it is a problem more appropriate for a skilled developer on these forums (unless you don't mind waiting 6 months for me to do it!). Also, the other thing I noticed is that I could start up some apps from the touch pad on my btkb, but, here the problem is that I could not easily control which app I started because I could not see where the cursor was! At least I think there is one! Anyways, I hope someone can tackle this soon as many would benefit...

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Germany

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to damaltor For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi cddiede.

Actually, I've had limited success getting btkb working with N9. The instructions are given in the FMC thread

<SNIP>
I coulda told him all that, but assumed he already knew
Thanks for the summary of it all again...

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I coulda told him all that, but assumed he already knew
Thanks for the summary of it all again...
Yep, I'm aware of and very appreciative of the current efforts to get bluetooth keyboards working on the N9.

However, my initial statement was more to the effect of:

"If bluetooth keyboards aren't officially supported by, nor work out of the box on the N9, then purchasing an "NFC" keyboard that likely uses bluetooth connections is an unwise purchase."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Why do you still think that it uses bluetooth? Of course nfc could be used to transmit keypresses, if an appropriate driver modules is loaded.

The Following User Says Thank You to damaltor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Yep, I'm aware of and very appreciative of the current efforts to get bluetooth keyboards working on the N9.

However, my initial statement was more to the effect of:

"If bluetooth keyboards aren't officially supported by, nor work out of the box on the N9, then purchasing an "NFC" keyboard that likely uses bluetooth connections is an unwise purchase."
The patent does suggest that only NFC is used, meaning there's no bluetooth chip in this keyboard, and the company mentioned the N9 as something that are working on for compatibility meaning they must be creating some sort of driver that will enable it to work effectively with the N9

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

In their video the android device they are using has no bluetooth icon on the notification bar at the top!

NFC One2Touch Video

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following User Says Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
This thing is extremely interesting, although I'd be more interested in something that you don't need a table to use with, ie in bus/bus stop, lunch queue, walking. Might have to get this anyway just to check it out and support the company.

Also they are clearly saying on their page that they are using NFC to substitute BT.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by damaltor View Post
Why do you still think that it uses bluetooth? Of course nfc could be used to transmit keypresses, if an appropriate driver modules is loaded.
Because AFAIK NFC does not have protocol to be used for such purpose.

By using NFC you could:
read/write tags.
emulate ISO (put number here) and mifare cards (EMV, QVSDC ,etc.)
do easy paring (for BlueTooth)

Anyway, by looking at the video it seems it really does not use BT. Just wondering how portable will be such proprietary extension to NFC. And how usefull it will be to hold your device on the top of your keyboard. NFC range is 1-5 cm, no options there.

NFC can transmit arbitrary data, too (which is done on bt pairing, as the two devices exchage a bluetooth passkey).

As the data rate is (relatively) slow, there is no sense in transmittig big amounts of data (like directly sharing an image via nfc).

but as a keyboard has to send a minimal amount of data, nfc is fast enough. there is no standard for this though, there will be a special driver needed, which is polling nfc and emulates the keypresses for the os.