As some of you may know, I am developing BackupMenu, which allows the user to backup and restore system images.
My tool works at a fairly low level, running before the DE has started - thus there is nothing in the OptFS that is being used and it can be safely mounted/unmounted/messed with.
The RootFS on the other hand, not so much(obviously). Now, I've tried unmounting it, and it seemed to unmount(a test file put in the root directory didn't show up after a reboot) - so I may already be in a chroot ramdisk, though I'm not entirely sure.

What I'd like to do is mount my own ramdisk, copy over the needed files from the RootFS, then chroot into that environment, and mount the /dev and /proc filesystems. I'd then be able to mess with the RootFS and OptFS to my heart's content, including possibly exposing the unmounted RootFS to USB mass storage access!

The only step of this I'm not clear on is what files I will need to copy to make a good chroot environment - all I'll really need in that environment is BusyBox and its included toolset.
Do any of you guys know what I'd need to do that?

Thanks,

-Rob

Last edited by RobbieThe1st; 2010-08-11 at 07:50.

You need to complain about the N900. Then after you draw in the legions of developers (who will inform you that you are a troll and are wasting their time), sneak your real question in. Otherwise your thread will probably lie unread/unsnswered. Sorry I am a noob so that is the best advise I can give you based off how this site seems to be operating lately.

Last edited by extendedping; 2010-08-11 at 14:24.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Take it step by step. You need the loader to be able to start any binary. From there you add the needed libraries for the applications you want to run in your chroot environment.

You also need to create a proper /dev/null or things will bork on you.