Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
I dumped that email in my spam and have not got it since, also did not find anywhere where it resembles something like "Unsubscribe".
These instructions are based upon my location being within the United States and my language being English; however, I'm hopeful that the instructions transfer easily to My Nokia web sites for other locations and languages.

Starting out:
  1. Go to Nokia.com
  2. Follow through to the Nokia website for your region as necessary.
  3. Tap the "My Nokia" tab near the top right of the page.
  4. Log in to My Nokia if necessary.

To enable or disable email or SMS updates:
  1. Tap the "Edit my details" link.
  2. Check or uncheck "By e-mail" and "By mobile messaging" according to your preferences. The site will allow you to uncheck both options.
  3. Tap the "Submit" button near the bottom of the page.

To close your My Nokia account:
  1. Tap the "Edit my account" link.
  2. Tap the "Remove backup data or cancel your My Nokia account" link.
  3. Select a reason for unsubscribing. "Not satisfied with My Nokia" appears to be a good choice, though "Not satisfied with Nokia" or "Deceased" might also be tempting options.
  4. Tap the "Unsubscribe" button.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Hi ,

If you have an Ovi account and use it to install apps on your Nokia phone, it already has your number.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I have started a wiki page on this issue called PR1.2 compulsory My Nokia subscription. Please can people check and update that page as necessary.

In particular, I am interested in improving the bottom section, "How to avoid the compulsory registration while upgrading to PR1.2". For people who flash both rootfs and emmc, what is the best way to avoid this problem, as they cannot create the .cherry_state file before /usr/bin/cherry is run? Is it sufficient to boot with no SIM, create the file (or it may be created automatically by /usr/bin/cherry), then reboot with a SIM?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by xmob View Post
They seem to be base64 encoded. I will report back soon with my findings.
Fancy sharing the message; many eyes can decode faster :-)

Cheers,

Andrew

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Fancy sharing the message; many eyes can decode faster :-)
I considered that. However, there might be deeply personal information hidden in there.

If it is Base64 encoded, it's binary data.

I can, however, advise on how to edit the binary so that people can send messages to themselves. I will report back soon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xmob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Given size of message, I'm guessing not more above IMEI and Phone no could be jammed in there, maybe few prefs. Definitely no logs or any media. So I'm thinking maybe PM a few trustworthy people who do good work, I'm sure you have little to worry about.

I'm thinking having a single data sample to compare notes could help - having separate data sets could slow down development. OTOH, could help by determining fixed bits.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Given size of message, ...
You never know, Nokia could've found a way to get a GPS fix quickly; compress all your contacts; build up your applications list; take a photo with both cameras; include your IMEI; local wifi info and phone number and compress that into 160 characters :-)

Seriously, though, it is probably sensible to not flash around the message too much. Reproduction instructions to save duplicated work would be handy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
You never know, Nokia could've found a way to get a GPS fix quickly; compress all your contacts; build up your applications list; take a photo with both cameras; include your IMEI; local wifi info and phone number and compress that into 160 characters :-)

Seriously, though, it is probably sensible to not flash around the message too much. Reproduction instructions to save duplicated work would be handy.
I know it's meant to be funny, but really, none of that info is really closed or private, save for the phone number. Camera was closed on the other end, and the front cam is pointing up, as it takes 30 minutes to run(*). Apps are public. I send my GPS position every lock because I use Nokia's positioning and searches. There's the talk of contacts being private, but really, while some are, most people sync with PC, Google, Yahoo and OVI and whatnot. What bad could come of IMEI, really, one could know where the phone was made and when. Which is roughly squat. And I don't even know my wifi settings, they were automatically generated by randomness itself and copied over via PIN smart logon.

It's shocking, how much info is public on a phone. I guess that's what hurts, number was our last island. Anyway, if someone has a spare SIM they don't use any more that SMS could be made public, I guess? I'll start digging around.

* ETA: I just realized, Nokia could build a database of ceiling models for its database, for when they re-profile from the phone business it flops to a ceiling company. Shrewd.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
I know it's meant to be funny, but really, none of that info is really closed or private, save for the phone number.
I disagree. Strongly. YOU may CHOOSE to share the information you mentioned (maybe in order to get some useful services). I don't. And even when I DO choose to share, I choose who with, I read their privacy policies and I take note of their past behaviours.

So, for example, I do use Google Latitude, sometimes (I only turn it on when I want it and I understand the risks). I do not use Google for mail, contacts, etc. Those are both conscious decisions -- someone else will make different choices. The fact that they make those choices does not mean that their data is now "public".

From the terms and conditions (thanks to Faheem for attaching them to the bug report) it sounds like they send IMSI. Now, why on earth would they do that? Will they be sending encryption triplets next?

* ETA: I just realized, Nokia could build a database of ceiling models for its database, for when they re-profile from the phone business it flops to a ceiling company. Shrewd.
Aha! I think you have worked it out!! They don't need any sort of privacy reputation to enter the building business! And they used to make car tyres and rubber boots so ceilings wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
I had a text today, AGAIN from Nokia, which they only had because of the 1.2 rootkit thingy. Asking me if I wanted to take part in a survey about how the N900 is.

I have yet to get the survery as I replied and are waiting the questions with interest. It DID however at least tell me that an SMS at local rate was what would be charged.

So in as many weeks that is 2 text messages (The other told me of the 1.2 release) from Nokia using a service I didn't sign up for or want.

Anyone else getting these things, or just me?

I will post what the survery is when it arrives. Probably won't arrive and it just cost me and sms to find out.