Hi! I've been having trouble with my N900 lately. Basically, it started out by just going *boop* and turning of after using it for 2 minutes. It would do that every time I rebooted. During the two minutes I had each time, I found that my files (pictures, music, etc) were still in MyDocs. I searched around and someone had the bright idea of reflashing. This did not help at all. All that it did was make it so all of my files are not available, it crashes RIGHT after you boot it unless it is plugged into a computer, and if you try to save a file (from the camera, for example) while plugged into a computer it says "Memory not available. USB cable connected". Does anyone have an idea of what is going on and how I should fix it?

Also-- I'm not into forum welcomings, please avoid doing that

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Agent2479 View Post
Hi! I've been having trouble with my N900 lately. Basically, it started out by just going *boop* and turning of after using it for 2 minutes.
Hmm, this sounds a bit like the behavior my N900 started doing when my battery was going bad (although I usually got more than two minutes out of it). My first battery lasted a bit less than two years if I recall correctly, so they don't necessarily last all that long. They are fairly cheap to replace, though.

it crashes RIGHT after you boot it unless it is plugged into a computer, and if you try to save a file (from the camera, for example) while plugged into a computer it says "Memory not available. USB cable connected". Does anyone have an idea of what is going on and how I should fix it?
Again, my first guess would be a battery problem; that might explain why the phone works correctly while drawing power from the USB port. And yeah, if you choose either "mass storage mode" or "pc suite mode" when you plug in the USB cable, your memory honestly isn't available -- the internal storage is unmounted from the Maemo OS and made available to the host computer as a USB drive. You'd need to click in the blurred area above the dialog box to avoid this behavior...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Hmm, this sounds a bit like the behavior my N900 started doing when my battery was going bad (although I usually got more than two minutes out of it). My first battery lasted a bit less than two years if I recall correctly, so they don't necessarily last all that long. They are fairly cheap to replace, though.

Again, my first guess would be a battery problem; that might explain why the phone works correctly while drawing power from the USB port. And yeah, if you choose either "mass storage mode" or "pc suite mode" when you plug in the USB cable, your memory honestly isn't available -- the internal storage is unmounted from the Maemo OS and made available to the host computer as a USB drive. You'd need to click in the blurred area above the dialog box to avoid this behavior...
Thanks, this somewhat helped me find the problem. But now, when I have it connected to the PC and have pressed the blurred area, it runs for a while, and my files are visible, buuuuuuut it crashes after about a minute of use. Any idea what the problem could be?

But now, when I have it connected to the PC and have pressed the blurred area, it runs for a while, and my files are visible, buuuuuuut it crashes after about a minute of use. Any idea what the problem could be?
I have to admit that there are many many ways a computer might crash, and I probably don't know enough of them myself to predict what the most likely cause would be. However, if the battery really is completely messed up, I think it could still be the problem here. My understanding is that the primary use of the power provided over the USB bus is for recharging the battery, not for actually powering the cell phone; so if the battery is not retaining any charge at all, the N900 will still be unhappy even with the USB port connected...

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
No idea on the initial issue, but:
Originally Posted by Agent2479
...it is plugged into a computer, and if you try to save a file (from the camera, for example) while plugged into a computer it says "Memory not available. USB cable connected"
that is normal behaviour: when you plug your phone into a computer it mounts the MyDocs partition as a mass storage device so you can access your files, during this time you can not access or use any files from MyDocs on the phone.

Try flashing both the emmc and rootfs, if not I'd be willing to bet it is a battery issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
It is not a battery issue.
It is no memory issue - when your PC can modify the N900, the N900 should be careful with messing around with the same. Windows is not made for multi-user, while Linux is and will exclude others from messing around with the same things.

There is no need to flash it, tools are available to find errors in the file system that you may get if you stop the phone by just removing the battery instead of running a proper "Switch Off". Use e.g. "TestDisk" to verify and rebuild the file system.

If you cannot reach the phone from your PC, the problem is usually your PC and the Windows version you use. Take 2GB memory stick and place a bootable version of Ubuntu or Mint on this, and install the Flasher and whatever you need (like hfs+ if you use Mac) and use the Linux drivers. Linux can access the file system on your computer and can back up "MyDocs" - also the "hidden" files.

You get a very specific error message if the N900 is to blame and the eMMC is really not available. You are not there.

Last edited by knuthf; 2012-10-06 at 03:03.

Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
Try flashing both the emmc and rootfs.
I did say that I've done this a few times.

Knuthf, I forgot to add a few things:
-No matter how long I leave it plugged in, when I unplug it, the battery automatically goes to one of the lowest levels then dies.
-I can access my old MyDocs files from mass storage mode, or by using charging only and browsing the files via the N900 (but that crashes it after a minute).

-No matter how long I leave it plugged in, when I unplug it, the battery automatically goes to one of the lowest levels then dies.
Honestly, I really think you should try using a fresh battery. It certainly sounds like your battery is completely dead...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Exactly.

But what you might test is:
leave it plugged for an hour (or so)
open x-term and become root (of course rootsh needed)
Code:
sudo gainroot
or
Code:
root
unplug USB
unmount MyDocs via
Code:
umount -l /home/user/MyDocs
If phone still "crashes", then exchange the battery.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

^+1, and small question, in addition - have You tried running it, while connected to wallcharger (real one, providing up to 950 mAh)?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: