Notices

Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
Besides cost, two other reasons come to mind for not making rerouting too sensitive: (1) I don't know if the positioning accuracy is always guaranteed to be correct and in sync -- e.g. what if when entering a tunnel your positioning throws quickly while the accuracy lags? And, (2) there are normal small deviations, such as lane choice on big motorways or intersections, or detours around road works, which can be maybe up to 50 meters.
Another question just popped up in my head: Isn't it (to some extent) possible to implement some change (steering) detection using the internal sensors (assuming in car mode that the phone is fixed)? That data could possibly also be combined with a Kalman filter (which may generally be useful when entering a tunnel).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
DISCLAIMER: This is unofficial version that is provided as an early-feedback preview. It's submitted for merge into Poor Maps proper and is not a permanent fork. This version is provided with the hope that it will be useful for you and to allow you to participate in the development through feedback, patches, and other possible means. /DISCLAIMER

I have been working on bringing voice prompts to Poor Maps for some time and have submitted the corresponding code for review. The corresponding PR is at https://github.com/otsaloma/poor-maps/pull/49 . I have done some daily testing for a while now and I think its already provides the required functionality. So, since @otsaloma is busy with other aspects, I asked and got permission to distribute the version of Poor Maps with the voice prompts.

What does it do:

* Gives you TTS-synthesized prompts while you navigate.
* Includes rerouting functionality, as in the latest release of Poor Maps

What do you need:

* Install mimic (English) and (if you want a bit more languages) picotts (en, de, es, fr, it) from OpenRepos: https://openrepos.net/content/rinigus/mimic and https://openrepos.net/content/rinigus/picotts . If mimic and picotts do not cover your language of choice, get espeak (bad quality)

* Install Poor Maps from http://repo.merproject.org/obs/home:...rmv7hl/noarch/ . Since its noarch, it should work on i486 as well. Download the RPM and install using

Code:
pkcon install-local RPM_FILE_NAME
I recommend Mapzen and OSM Scout Server (Valhalla) for the best results.

How to get back to Poor Maps official:

* you should be able to upgrade to current Poor Maps version in OpenRepos (version number in the "voice" branch should be smaller than the current Poor Maps)

* if upgrade does not work - uninstall Poor Maps and reinstall it from OpenRepos

To avoid any confusion, this unofficial version is not going to be uploaded to OpenRepos. Get it from OBS manually, if you want to test it.

REMINDER: This is unofficial version that is provided as an early-feedback preview.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 191 | Thanked: 271 times | Joined on Mar 2015 @ Germany
Is a german translation possible, for the "special" poor maps version?
I can make a test when a transifex version is online.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeyisland For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by monkeyisland View Post
Is a german translation possible, for the "special" poor maps version?
I can make a test when a transifex version is online.
No, I don't think so. Please note that the code will probably change when reviewed by @otsaloma, meaning that translation would probably have to be re-done. At least that was my experience with the rerouting code.

Let us give @otsaloma time to finish the project that he started, so he could focus on this when he gets there. For now, these few QML pages probably could stay in English for now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Spain
Wow!! Excelent!!
I've just installed it and it seems work fine!
But, only female voice works,. If I select male voice the instrucctions are spoken by a female.
On the other hand, the spoken text is a little bit differente than the written text, is that normal?

Originally Posted by carmenluci View Post
Wow!! Excelent!!
I've just installed it and it seems work fine!
But, only female voice works,. If I select male voice the instrucctions are spoken by a female.
On the other hand, the spoken text is a little bit differente than the written text, is that normal?
Yes, its all normal.

Re female voice: The voice is selected by moving from the higher quality TTS engine to lower, subjectively selected by me. As soon as the language is covered, the gender preference is checked. If that particular voice does not have gender selection, you get the other gender. Among TTS Engines, only mimic (and flite) have gender selection. So, it works for English only. PicoTTS is female, espeak is unknown, as far as I remember.

Re text difference: yes, that's intentional and done by Valhalla to optimize for media (messages vs voice)

PS: it should all work

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
One question regarding the TTS: is it safe to have mimic and picoTTS installed simultaneously?
What happens in this case if a certain language is provided by both backends?

@otsaloma: in landscape mode it is difficult to see the street in e.g. front of the car, as a lot of space is covered by the direction information. That makes it sometimes difficult to see how many meters are still to go until a certain crossing is coming. Would it be possible to have the information (optionally) either on the left or right side of the screen?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bomo View Post
One question regarding the TTS: is it safe to have mimic and picoTTS installed simultaneously?
What happens in this case if a certain language is provided by both backends?

@otsaloma: in landscape mode it is difficult to see the street in e.g. front of the car, as a lot of space is covered by the direction information. That makes it sometimes difficult to see how many meters are still to go until a certain crossing is coming. Would it be possible to have the information (optionally) either on the left or right side of the screen?
yes , you can install multiple tts engines , it's safe

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bomo View Post
The whole UI is optimized for portrait use, it would be a significant complication to add a separate layout for landscape. It's possible, but not currently planned.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Version 0.33 available at OpenRepos.
  • Add support for @3x tiles (#53)
  • Add Cartago Streets basemaps @1x, @2x, @3x, @4x (#33)
  • Set default basemap based on screen pixel ratio (#52)
  • Allow navigation page button labels (begin, reroute, clear) to break across lines for better translatability
  • Drop rerouting threshold to 100 meters
  • Update translations

Those Cartago Streets basemaps are a custom map style served from a tileserver I set up running Tileserver GL with vector tiles from OpenMaptiles. It serves two purposes: (1) gives us higher pixel density raster tiles while we still need tile-based maps, e.g. if my math is correct @3x tiles are likely a good fit on Sailfish X, and (2) that server also serves other stuff, most importantly vector tiles, which are likely to be used once we have a vector map rendering component. If you're a developer of Sailfish apps and want access to the tileserver, let me know and I'll send you an API key.

http://cartago.io/maps/

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post: