Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
You obviously have never seen a slider device like E7/N950/Lauta...
That is almost true. So it not a correct observation. I haven't seen 950/Lauta with my own eyes but I have had some battles with E7 in the past, and if E7 looks the same and you can see that it's not a regular candybar device as the image provided. That said, the front and center can give you an idea of how sailingChen will look like but you can always see if the is a slider becouse it's not a solid candy...and the image provide is pure candybar.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-08-25 at 11:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
you can always see if the is a slider becouse it's not a solid candy...and the image provide is pure candybar.
Check for example the middle image in https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIBktqKXsAMkACP?format=jpg

Now, imagine that the whole black part in the front is the up-sliding-display-part and the golden part is what's left down to form the keyboard part. Just like in E7 but a bit more inset.

See, not a candybar.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Check for example the middle image in https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIBktqKXsAMkACP?format=jpg

Now, imagine that the whole black part in the front is the up-sliding-display-part and the golden part is what's left down to form the keyboard part. Just like in E7 but a bit more inset.

See, not a candybar.
Could be. But I'm sceptical due to the fact that it's so thin(screen part of the slider). But maybe they are so thin today also the screen seems to be too tight regarding the sides.
I would like to see it keyboard mode first. Maybe you are right.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
Awsome!!! hope you add the option for a qwertz keyboard
Yes Chen already confirmed a QWERTZ version here.

BTW here is the post with the picture/mockup of the phone with open slider: TMO link

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
See, not a candybar.
Could be. But I'm sceptical due to the fact that it's so thin(screen part of the slider). But maybe they are so thin today also the screen seems to be too tight regarding the sides.
You are correct about the thinness, having a proper keyboard with a keymat that has the right tactile feel might require the device to be considerably thicker.

But anyways, these are just renderings, I consider them more like "what we want to do" than "what it finally will look like"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
You are correct about the thinness, having a proper keyboard with a keymat that has the right tactile feel might require the device to be considerably thicker.

But anyways, these are just renderings, I consider them more like "what we want to do" than "what it finally will look like"
I think the Blackberry PRiv proves, that you can have a thin and like a Candybar looking slider:

Last edited by Fellfrosch; 2017-08-25 at 12:43.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
E7 was before laminated displays and gorilla glass became a standard thing, and in general phones have gotten a lot thinner over the years.

The Fairphone 2 display module is quite thin and is a standalone part with a connector, its not too much of a stretch to see that as a slider screen.

https://youtu.be/hsop-mM1MZk?t=27

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Totally out of date, but a small reminder about screen size. The key dimension is not the screen diagonal, it's the whole phone width.

In my case (and only my case), a phone wider than 65mm is difficult to manipulate with one hand only. My X Compact has almost the same screen dimension as the J1, but it's 3 mm narrower, and this changes everything...but has not SFOS...yet.

Beautiful rendering though.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by romu View Post
Totally out of date, but a small reminder about screen size. The key dimension is not the screen diagonal, it's the whole phone width.

In my case (and only my case), a phone wider than 65mm is difficult to manipulate with one hand only. My X Compact has almost the same screen dimension as the J1, but it's 3 mm narrower, and this changes everything...but has not SFOS...yet.

Beautiful rendering though.
what about the height?, good luck trying to reach the top left/right corner of the screen on the S8+.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
There is one thing I noticed.

Chen mentioned the device will have (a) 2.5D glass/screen.

But the rendered devices appear to have an flat screen, enclosed by round edges, the same as the Jolla-phone.

Are these renders just not final, or is the decision itself, about the device, having a "true" 2.5D screen not final?

I'd welcome the decision of having a regular 2D screen with round edges, though..
Because I like to put screen protectors on my phones, which wont really work, because screen protectors dont adhere onto round glass edges.
It also/hopefully means, that there is less glue used in this device...

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen