Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
Hello all !!

I've seen many videos about nokia's N900 device and I really would like to install Maemo 5 beta fremantle on a PC (for example a EEE PC 701 which have approximatly the same specifications as the 900, and on which I go to put a touch screen) and I don't arrive to find where I can download an image of Maemo 5 for x86, cause i just found the sdk, but in the sdk's targets i've seen ARMEL and X86, and it's that which make me think that it's possible to install maemo on non-arm based devices.

So where can i find this image please ?

Or i there is none, who can I have Maemo 5 on a PC ?

Regards.

PS : I love Nokia's 'experiencing N900' video !!!

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by TheBootroo View Post
Hello all !!

I've seen many videos about nokia's N900 device and I really would like to install Maemo 5 beta fremantle on a PC (for example a EEE PC 701 which have approximatly the same specifications as the 900, and on which I go to put a touch screen) and I don't arrive to find where I can download an image of Maemo 5 for x86, cause i just found the sdk, but in the sdk's targets i've seen ARMEL and X86, and it's that which make me think that it's possible to install maemo on non-arm based devices.

So where can i find this image please ?

Or i there is none, who can I have Maemo 5 on a PC ?

Regards.

PS : I love Nokia's 'experiencing N900' video !!!
Don't install the SDK expecting to have the same user experience as you're seeing in the N900 promo videos.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
i know that and i have experienced it by myself

but now my question i how to install maemo on a pc

at the moment i have installed a minimal debian in virtual box and added maemo repos (i think : 'deb http://repository.maemo.org/debian/ fremantle/sdk free' and 'deb http://repository.maemo.org/debian/ fremantle/tools free') and then installed 'hildon-desktop', 'matchbox-windiw-manager' and other packages but nothind happened and XOrg doesn't work at all...

is this the good way ?

is there a better one ?

Thanks for advance

Best regards

Last edited by TheBootroo; 2009-08-29 at 15:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheBootroo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
To my knowledge, you can not run any version Maemo as a native OS on an x86 PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
You can run the SDK for Maemo on a PC.
You cannot run Maemo itself on a normal PC.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post: