Guys, I am new to Linux, and trying to learn. in X-term,
I put: "sudo", then it gives me "Usage -K etc", I wonder what these "-K" "-V" for? and how I can use them???

I use "su" to gain root in opensuse, what does "sudo" mean in N900(Busybox)??? Please educate me, many thanks.

Last edited by roja; 2010-03-18 at 23:45.

and if i just type "sudo" and enter in X term, what does it do???

A good tutorial for beginners http://www.unixtutorial.org/2008/01/sudo-tutorial/

Good reading

The Following User Says Thank You to nbc For This Useful Post:
thanks nbc, however i still wonder if i just type "sudo" and enter in X term on n900, what does it do???

By default, you're not allowed to become root on the N900.

To do that, you must first install a package called "rootsh".

After that, you may type "sudo gainroot" to become root. At that point, if you like, you can set your own root password. This would allow you to type "su" and enter your root password to become root, like in Suse.

"sudo" is used to allow a user to execute a command as THEMSELVES, but with root privileges. It is also available on Suse, and all other unixes.

absolutely nothing. sudo in default usage take at list one argument, this argument is the command you want to use under another account. An example that won't work

Code:
 sudo cat /etc/sudoers
If you really want to learn linux, try with another distrib on a desktop computer. the n900 has a linux but a really weird linux compare to other distributions.

Thanks fuzzbuzz and nbc, so my understanding is that simply type "sudo" and enter will do nothing on n900 but gives me a list of parameters I can use with sudo command, correct???

Yes you're right. If you want to complete sudo documentation "man sudo" doesn't work on maemo (no man) but you can find it on internet : http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/man/sudo.html

reading reading, doing, the hard path to knowledge

and if i would like to gain root, i will need to install "rootsh", and then can i use "sudo" to gain root? or it has to be "sudo gainroot?"

with rootsh just use the command "root"

Code:
~ $ root

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso26+0m5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

Nokia-N900-51-1:~#
Be careful when you're root