Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
I'm still trying to figure out this thing. Nokia and Microsoft keep talking like they're the only ones in that "third ecosystem". "We're contributing this and they're contributing that." But in reality there are many other OEMs beside Nokia in the same ecosystem.

Nokia already pays for Microsoft's contribution in the form of licence fees. So do other manufacturers, there seems to be nothing exclusive for Nokia. With the license fee Nokia gets nothing the other ones don't get.

So what will Nokia get from it's contributions or things it gives up? How will they get compensated for contributing maps? What will they get from bringing the carrier billing contracts to the table? Ovi store to be merged with WP market place, do they get revenue from application/content sales on Nokia devices now that they give up their own revenue source? Same with Nokia music? They are giving away both what they have and what they could've had which obviously has to be weighed in when making decisions like this.

Nokia is also bringing it's scale (if there's any left when they start getting devices out especially now that Symbian sales are going to take a hit) that is one of the big things the ecosystem lacks and from which every player in the ecosystem will benefit from. What will Nokia get from bringing all this to the table relative to other manufacturers who don't?

Elop seemed to mention revenue from ads and "substantial monetary value measured in billions, not millions". Is the latter a one-off payment or a steady revenue stream or what? Anything else?

Originally Posted by Elop View Post
6:44PM "When you look at all of the value that we're contributing, the value transferred to Nokia is measured in the Bs, not the Ms." That's billions, not millions, folks.
Why must everything in this corrupted society be all about money? Linux is a great wonderful ecosystem on its own that auto-develops within itself. Why can't more and more people realize that? I only realized it when I first got my N900, that's the first time I was introduced to Linux and I fell in love with it.

Please, I welcome everybody to view the following video:
The surprising truth about what motivates us
and spread awareness to everybody. Corporatocracy must end.

Last edited by IsaacDFP; 2011-02-13 at 22:58.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IsaacDFP For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
I'm still trying to figure out this thing. Nokia and Microsoft keep talking like they're the only ones in that "third ecosystem". "We're contributing this and they're contributing that." But in reality there are many other OEMs beside Nokia in the same ecosystem.

Nokia already pays for Microsoft's contribution in the form of licence fees. So do other manufacturers, there seems to be nothing exclusive for Nokia. With the license fee Nokia gets nothing the other ones don't get.

So what will Nokia get from it's contributions or things it gives up? How will they get compensated for contributing maps? What will they get from bringing the carrier billing contracts to the table? Ovi store to be merged with WP market place, do they get revenue from application/content sales on Nokia devices now that they give up their own revenue source? Same with Nokia music? They are giving away both what they have and what they could've had which obviously has to be weighed in when making decisions like this.

Nokia is also bringing it's scale (if there's any left when they start getting devices out especially now that Symbian sales are going to take a hit) that is one of the big things the ecosystem lacks and from which every player in the ecosystem will benefit from. What will Nokia get from bringing all this to the table relative to other manufacturers who don't?

Elop seemed to mention revenue from ads and "substantial monetary value measured in billions, not millions". Is the latter a one-off payment or a steady revenue stream or what? Anything else?
Nokia got the rights to develop with wp7. Elop said that if they want they could change the whole UI of wp7. I don't the other OEM's can do that

Originally Posted by Zekahz View Post
Nokia got the rights to develop with wp7. Elop said that if they want they could change the whole UI of wp7. I don't the other OEM's can do that
I don't think that means what you think it means.

It only means that Nokia can now change the logos and wallpaper colors and such. Nothing more.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Romania
So, is there, someone from the TMO in Barcelona for the MWC 2011 event? If so, maybe he/she can keep us "live" with the events prior to the Maemo cause....

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Why must everything in this corrupted society be all about money?
it would be ok if it was about real money, Elop is talking about imaginary money you can see in financial statements.....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Zekahz View Post
I can see an ad in my eyes already about nokias worst case scenario:

"Offer you cannot miss, WP7 wit COMIC SANS FONTS!!!!!!"
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Is there any new updates to this?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Is there any new updates to this?
what updates. Google boss said nokia chose ms instead of google.

EDIT: check first post and hit the forth link. they update the page with live streams from the headlines from MWC if that was the thing you were looking fore.

Last edited by Dave999; 2011-02-15 at 22:21.

Dear Elop, The absolute last thing I want in the world is more advertising delivered to my phone. I also don't want the phone disclosing location info. Just give me a dumb TCP/IP endpoint to the internet and keep the "services" away from me. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to phr For This Useful Post: