Active Topics

Hi, when I compile the kernel of N900(2.6.28-omap1) for the first time in scratchbox, the time is quite long, everyone knows that. And then I made some change of the kernel, recompile it, now the compile time becomes short.

But if I quit scratchbox and re-login it again, and re-compile the kernel, the time is as long as the first time I do it. Does anyone know why? And how to solve this problem?
Thanks!

Get a faster computer?

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 105 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Finland
Maybe some timestamp won't match anymore after logout/login. Use verbose build to se what it's doing.
Maybe even try ccache if that might help recompiles.

Ccache is installed and used by default, that's why the second compilation is much faster. I've no idea why logging out of scratchbox makes it longer for the OP though.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Do you have a bunch of spare cores in your CPU? I tend to increase the number of jobs to run in parallel based on the number of CPU's and cores I have. Eg.

make -j 4 bzImage

This should speed things along a tad assuming you have a quad core machine, though you can vary the number up or down depending.

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
If it's the same as Gentoo then it's -j total number of cores + 1

Originally Posted by teh View Post
Get a faster computer?
Yes, that is a good way and I have done that.

Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Do you have a bunch of spare cores in your CPU? I tend to increase the number of jobs to run in parallel based on the number of CPU's and cores I have. Eg.

make -j 4 bzImage

This should speed things along a tad assuming you have a quad core machine, though you can vary the number up or down depending.
This is a good suggestion, I will try it.

Originally Posted by onion View Post
Maybe some timestamp won't match anymore after logout/login. Use verbose build to se what it's doing.
Maybe even try ccache if that might help recompiles.
I think your answer is most reasonable. Unfortunately I cannot repeat what I mentioned. Now whenever I recompile the kernel under scratchbox(in any case), the compile time is short. I don't know why.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by Captwheeto View Post
If it's the same as Gentoo then it's -j total number of cores + 1
No, it's just -j <Total Number of Cores> only. Not plus 1 :-) You wont see any improvement unfortunately. +2 or more above the number of cores and you're more likely to have compile times take (sometimes significantly) longer.