Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wow.

The release of iOS 7 seems like as good a time as any to reassess the mobile operating system market, and this is precisely the thinking of Pfeiffer Consulting. The firm pitted Android, Blackberry 10, iOS 7, iOS 6 and Windows Phone 8 head to head (to head to head to head), comparing the aspects of the OS that have direct impact on user experience. Rated in four key areas, Windows Phone 8 came bottom of the list in terms of overall usability.

The results are quite damning. Looking at what the report terms "cognitive load" (how easy it is to pick up the OS), Windows Phone 8 actually fared well, receiving the same rating as iOS 7 and being praised for its "streamlined user interface". However the OS is criticized for reducing the overall user experience and efficiency.
Warning: PDF Link

Sorry, but I think that is total bull. WP8 is very user friendly with big tiles and so on. Its even more idiot proof than iOS. And out of all the nascent OSs, WP8 is making most inroads into the market....

It's a "study" that's really more opinion than fact.

Sorta like your stuff you post here. More opinion than fact. Tit for tat.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It's a "study" that's really more opinion than fact.

Sorta like your stuff you post here. More opinion than fact. Tit for tat.
Haha why do I feel that this thread was created for Lumiaman?

You sometimes act like a true American assss

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
You sometimes act like a true American assss
I am a true American ***. No reason to deny it.

I'm sorry but we don't need a study to realize this. WP8 sucks, Nokia said it themselves. Scratch that Nokia is Microsoft, so Microsoft said it themselves.

Hypothetical MeeGo Successor > Android > iOS 7 > WP8

I'm flattered

Lumiaman you should quit taking Bill's prescribed vaccination. Its not good for you.

This topic made my day

Last edited by ed00; 2013-09-26 at 04:47.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Looking at what the report terms "cognitive load" (how easy it is to pick up the OS), Windows Phone 8 actually fared well, <snip>. However the OS is criticized for reducing the overall user experience and efficiency.
I don’t know about WP8, never used one. But it pretty much sums it up for me for W8 on the desktop: not difficult to get used to, but why would anyone want to? Definitely "reducing the overall user experience and efficiency".

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I don’t know about WP8, never used one. But it pretty much sums it up for me for W8 on the desktop: not difficult to get used to, but why would anyone want to? Definitely "reducing the overall user experience and efficiency".
This is the first time I ran into this term "cognitive load" describing the ease-of-learning for a given UI. All the things consultants are inventing, not bad

However, I'd like to point out that low cognitive load, meaning it's intuitive to learn might also mean it's inflexible and frustrating later when you get to use it a lot -> synonymous to not good for power-users

That's something I have seen when observing people actually using WP for a longer time. They are complaining how rigid it is, and it is difficult to do any simple tasks beyond everyday use; for example I found it pretty hilarious that you apparently cannot change the default bluetooth name for the device without connecting the device to zune or whatever, there's no UI for that in the device itself

Of apple devices I unfortunately cannot say anything really, as there are so few iDevice users around here.