Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Well....managed to do it again...although different problem now...hopefully, someone can please advise....If I should start new thread, please let me know...

In order to free up some rootfs space, to try and avoid having App Mgr problems again, I followed all the suggestions in the Wiki article 'Free Up Rootfs Space'...

This includes the one about deleting a bunch of files:

List of big and rarely used files
You can't just delete these files, this is just a list with ideas! You have to know what you are going to do with them (optify, backup+remove, etc.).

/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive (28 MB)
/usr/share/locale (10 MB, but you have to keep at least the one language you use)
/usr/share/themes/alpha and /beta (they use 5-6 MB each, keep the one you use)
/usr/share/fonts/arabic and /chinese (2,5 MB less for people who don't speak those two languages)
I did all the above, but as instructed, I kept a few of the English related language locales in "/usr/share/locale" such as 'en_US', 'en_UK', etc..

A few minutes ago, I rebooted my N900 and VOILA! now my N900 is showing icon labels, system messages, etc, in another language, not even sure which one, but it isn't English, that I'm sure!

Anyway, went to the Settings app in the System directory, opened it and clicked on the 'cpal_ti_language_and _regio....' item and it opens for a second, and then poof it disappears, then I see the message:

memr_ni_application_closed_no_resources
Obviously, I must have deleted at least one item too many....

So, my question is whether there's anyway to fix this or do I need to reflash???

I know that in Debian I would try doing in Terminal

Code:
# dpkg-reconfigure locales
Anything similar to do in Terminal in maemo??

Thanks for any and all advice!!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Posts: 518 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ italy
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
Well....managed to do it again...although different problem now...hopefully, someone can please advise....If I should start new thread, please let me know...

In order to free up some rootfs space, to try and avoid having App Mgr problems again, I followed all the suggestions in the Wiki article 'Free Up Rootfs Space'...

This includes the one about deleting a bunch of files:

I did all the above, but as instructed, I kept a few of the English related language locales in "/usr/share/locale" such as 'en_US', 'en_UK', etc..

A few minutes ago, I rebooted my N900 and VOILA! now my N900 is showing icon labels, system messages, etc, in another language, not even sure which one, but it isn't English, that I'm sure!

Anyway, went to the Settings app in the System directory, opened it and clicked on the 'cpal_ti_language_and _regio....' item and it opens for a second, and then poof it disappears, then I see the message:

Obviously, I must have deleted at least one item too many....

So, my question is whether there's anyway to fix this or do I need to reflash???

I know that in Debian I would try doing in Terminal

Code:
# dpkg-reconfigure locales
Anything similar to do in Terminal in maemo??

Thanks for any and all advice!!

take off the battery and the sim, insert new sim and reconfigure it on the startup wizard, then put back the first sim again... good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to santiago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by santiago View Post
take off the battery and the sim, insert new sim and reconfigure it on the startup wizard, then put back the first sim again... good luck
Ummm....I don't have sim card in N900, don't use it as a phone, just use WiFi...

However, just tried what you suggested, removed battery for a minute, put it back and booted up again, but no startup wizard came up????

Do you need to do something else to get startup wizard to open up???

Thanks!

Nokia N900

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
did you try to reinstall locales?
Code:
apt-get install --reinstall locales

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
did you try to reinstall locales?
Code:
apt-get install --reinstall locales
Thanks, michaaa62.....

Just tried that....while the locales install worked, the Settings>Language and Regional... just crashed like before when I clicked on it.....

I did reboot after installing locales.....

Nokia N900

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
try

dpkg --configure -a

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
try

dpkg --configure -a
Thanks, AlMehdi.....

Just tried that.... entered command and then after a minute, got prompt at new line...didn't ask me to choose a language, etc...

Then rebooted, then tried Settings>Language and Regional... just crashed like before when I clicked on it.....

Anything else to try or is it reflash time???

Thanks!.

Nokia N900

Last edited by ArchiMark; 2010-05-12 at 15:13. Reason: Added Info

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Probably time to reflash. I did the same thing.

In my case I moved locale-archive to /opt, then messed up the symlink (and overwrote locale-archive). Got all the unlocalized names for everything. Fortunately, I had a backup copy of /opt at home. Put up with it for the day, then copied locale-archive back to /opt and did the symlink correctly. Rebooted, all was good again.

Hope that helps you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Probably time to reflash. I did the same thing.

In my case I moved locale-archive to /opt, then messed up the symlink (and overwrote locale-archive). Got all the unlocalized names for everything. Fortunately, I had a backup copy of /opt at home. Put up with it for the day, then copied locale-archive back to /opt and did the symlink correctly. Rebooted, all was good again.

Hope that helps you.
Thanks, lemmyslender....think you're right, it's time to reflash and know that I have a fresh, proper base to work from....

Nokia N900

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki
I did exactly the same thing. I think that free rootfs page needs a little warning on not to maybe delete the locale-archive file

Managed to get the texts and language settings menu back to normal by copying the locale-archive file to my N900 from a scratchbox running on my Ubuntu. It was PR1.0 I think so not sure if it will cause problems..

Some UI lag after all the optimizations to free rootfs space. Did manage to free 50 megs which is nice but if this lag continues I guess it's reflash time afterall