Posts: 673 | Thanked: 230 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Mumbai
Added to openrepos.net
Thank you for everything Dickson! !!

Malaysian power brother! +1

And your client lives on in SailfishOS. Poor veskuh has to maintain your code now

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by ziggadebo View Post
no update for the n900? time to get a new phone?
maemo version updated now by Custodian

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=147

Originally Posted by dicksonleong8 View Post
Ok, here's little bit of history of Tweetian: When I start develop Tweetian, I just do it for fun and practicing. I never expect that Tweetian will get so many users. That's why I release it as free (and open source after that), because it is a spare time project and I never plan to monetize and maintain it.

My programming skill (especially C++) is extremely low when I start develop Tweetian (I'm just a student who knew a little bit of Java). So at that stage the code is very poorly written (and hard to maintain).

Slowly when I developed Tweetian my knowledge and skill is improved, until a stage where I realise the code for Tweetian to too poor written and very hard to maintain. So I stopped developed new feature for it and only give a passive support (for API changes).

Why don't I do a rewrite then? Because it is too hard. I takes ~3 months to release a pre-release version and maybe half year for to get it submitted to Nokia Store.

I really happy that there are so many Tweetian users (mainly because it is free?). However, I'm still a student. I develop Tweetian just for interest and never for money. The "responsibility" for me to continue maintain it is too heavy because it has so many users, while I get very less incentive in return.

TL;DR I developed apps just for fun and interest. I never expect to have such heavy responsibility to maintain it after I no longer interested in it (because it is getting hard to maintain). You can say I'm irresponsibility, but remember that I didn't earn any money for all the apps I developed.
Dude, you rock, your coding rocks, your ability to code rocks, my ability to contribute sucks. I could offer funds but they wouldn't be life changing. I love my n900, I don't want to move on until there is an alternative, which there isn't. I understand this takes up a lot of your time, but I appreciate it. Sorry you can't apply the time anymore. You rock, Maemo rocks, my n900 rocks, this community rocks. Rock on

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by dicksonleong8 View Post
Ok, here's little bit of history of Tweetian: When I start develop Tweetian, I just do it for fun and practicing. I never expect that Tweetian will get so many users. That's why I release it as free (and open source after that), because it is a spare time project and I never plan to monetize and maintain it.

My programming skill (especially C++) is extremely low when I start develop Tweetian (I'm just a student who knew a little bit of Java). So at that stage the code is very poorly written (and hard to maintain).

Slowly when I developed Tweetian my knowledge and skill is improved, until a stage where I realise the code for Tweetian to too poor written and very hard to maintain. So I stopped developed new feature for it and only give a passive support (for API changes).

Why don't I do a rewrite then? Because it is too hard. I takes ~3 months to release a pre-release version and maybe half year for to get it submitted to Nokia Store.

I really happy that there are so many Tweetian users (mainly because it is free?). However, I'm still a student. I develop Tweetian just for interest and never for money. The "responsibility" for me to continue maintain it is too heavy because it has so many users, while I get very less incentive in return.

TL;DR I developed apps just for fun and interest. I never expect to have such heavy responsibility to maintain it after I no longer interested in it (because it is getting hard to maintain). You can say I'm irresponsibility, but remember that I didn't earn any money for all the apps I developed.
well, as tweetian is my favourite twitter app on N900/maemo i hope the developing will continue somehow. is nearly perfect and smooth more than other proprietary apps. just few things left uncomplete, like downloading/saving pictures and translating tweets. donations and help will be a pleasure. at least we have it in openrepos and Custodian is still releasing maemo versions as he made a backport of tweetian for maemo

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Ankara, Turkey
Sorry to hear that dicksonleong8 will not to continue to support this project, because tweetian is still my favourite twitter app on n9. But i can understand his reasons and thanks to him for his efforts till now.

I allways wondered why somebody need to write all code again and again if there is an decent alternative to use. Isn't it the beauty of open source to use the codes already written? In this situtation for example could somebody port an twitter app already has support for api and other stuff? If i have any skill to code i definitely wanna do it myself but there is none.

As i know for twitter an app need two part of codes: A library code to access to the api and it's the hardwork part of the job because that part of code need to maintain and time to time need to change; second part is the user interface and i think that's the easy one for a programmer. (Certainly not for me ) Am i wrong?

If i'm not there is an app called turpial and it's fully rewritten recently and obviously it's opensource. My point is could somebody port this for all this beautifull platforms and just aplly the changes coming from its programmer(s). I think it can be easier than support tweetian because there is already someone take care of core codes (api changes, new features etc.); all needed is to write a interface to use that code. Or i'm completely wrong

If someone wanna take a look at this project: http://turpial.org.ve/ and https://github.com/satanas/libturpial

Anyway thanks again to dicksonleong8 for all his efforts and his beatifull app.

The Following User Says Thank You to srknbey For This Useful Post:
Yea, thanks dicksonleong8, your efforts are definitely much appreciated even if you can no longer do the upkeep. The reason Tweetian is so popular is NOT because it was free but because it worked so nicely. I like using it on both an N9 and N8, better than the official Twitter app on my iPod Touch. It just worked perfectly.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dini For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 417 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
And your client lives on in SailfishOS. Poor veskuh has to maintain your code now
Don't worry about veskuh, sooner or later Jolla will come out with its official Twitter client

Originally Posted by srknbey View Post
I allways wondered why somebody need to write all code again and again if there is an decent alternative to use. Isn't it the beauty of open source to use the codes already written? In this situtation for example could somebody port an twitter app already has support for api and other stuff? If i have any skill to code i definitely wanna do it myself but there is none.

As i know for twitter an app need two part of codes: A library code to access to the api and it's the hardwork part of the job because that part of code need to maintain and time to time need to change; second part is the user interface and i think that's the easy one for a programmer. (Certainly not for me ) Am i wrong?
You are right in some point. Problems is there aren't Twitter Qt library that are good enough. Some of the reasons are poor/missing documentation, have to adapt their "design" which sometime I disagrees with, no compatibility and constant update promises, and most library is design to use with C++ UI, not QML UI. End up coding the whole thing yourself is actually easier.

Another reason that I stop support Tweetian is the restrictive Twitter API. There are keep trying to kill off 3rd party apps. Maybe someday in the future there will make (some of) their API private! In fact, some of their API already private, ie. conversation and number of retweet/favourite of a tweet (Those API are public but undocumented in v1.0 but they change to completely private in v1.1. See that?). Twitter API is not a safe platform to develop on.

The Following User Says Thank You to dicksonleong8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 673 | Thanked: 230 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Mumbai
Added images to openrepos.net