Notices

Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Just downloaded 480p ogv version of trailer from
http://durian.blender.org/download/
The only player that opened it was KMplayer and it was veeery slow, about 0.3fps
(Media Player, mplayer, vlc and ffplay without options failed)

What can you recommend?
Package for ogg is installed (forgot it's name), maybe there is another one for ogv?

The Following User Says Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
What the hell is OGV? You shouldn't be surprised you can't play it on the N900...it's not a regular format, not even on PC.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
It's Ogg Theora. So it's a regular, albeit not widespread format. Any modern Linux PC is able to play it out of the box, though.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany
Same question here. Any solution for ogv?

try install package ogg-support from extras-devel

In game stratagus/wargus is all vides converted to ogv format and wargus play all videos without problem. (But yes, it has own simple video player glued into engine - using theroa library).

So HW in N900 can play video without problem, but there is maybe problem with players... I try investigate where is problem and how to easy play ogv videos.

So here is solution how to play theora videos using gstreamer libraries.

What is needed: theora and vorbis decoder for gstreamer; simple gstreamer utility which connect buffer pipes togeter.

Installing packages (as root):
$ apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ogg gstreamer0.10-vorbis gstreamer0.10-theora gstreamer-tools

Playing theora video and vorbis audio from file (file may have extension .ogv):
$ gst-launch filesrc location=<video.ogv> \! oggdemux name=demuxer demuxer. \! queue \! theoradec \! xvimagesink demuxer. \! queue \! vorbisdec \! pulsesink

Q: What?? Why this very long command??
A: gst-launch is very simple program which only connect buffer pipes togeter. '\!' means similar as s pipe '|' in shell/bash. First is needed to demux file into audio and video part. Video stream needs to be decoded from theora format to RGB/YUV images which can be shown on screen by Xv. Next audio stream needs to be decoded from vorbis format to uncompressed RAW/WAV which pulseaudio can play.

I already installed ogg-support. Where is that videopayer?

Originally Posted by mase View Post
I already installed ogg-support. Where is that videopayer?
I was not able to play my ogv videos with ogg-support and default media player. I think that ogg-support adds only support for ogg/vorbis (not for theora). Next I tried mplayer on n900. No success too... Only what played audio+video from ogv file was gstreamer libraries (with above program gst-launch).

I get this using your command:
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Nothing more happens.