Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Apologies for the off-topic post, but this is a rather important thread that more people need to know about:
[Council] By-Laws for new Maemo.org NFP entity
Please take some time to carefully digest & add your feed-back, council members have had very little so far.

Thank-you

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-03 at 09:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Please don't spam, however good a reason you may think you have. Besides, the community forum and mailing list are very public and anyone not reading those is clearly not interested in community matters.

(I'm also not sure whether to be happy or annoyed that of all the OS sub-forums this was only posted to the Harmattan one)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Further to the aforementioned thread is this one:
We need a name for the NFP entity that Maemo.org's changing to: add your idea/vote!
It's best not to discuss the focus of this thread in the previously linked one.
Please allocate some time to participle in one or both of these threads.
Every community members voice is valued, so long as they have decent/constructive ideas.
This public transmission is now over... Thank-you.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Please don't spam, however good a reason you may think you have.
Well, I did ask the mods in advance, so I think I'm good to go, with or without your permission.

Besides, the community forum and mailing list are very public and anyone not reading those is clearly not interested in community matters
That's somewhat of a broad assertion to make, I don't think you can make it without coming-off as slightly snooty.

(I'm also not sure whether to be happy or annoyed that of all the OS sub-forums this was only posted to the Harmattan one)
Wrong, it was also posted in the applications sub-forum, which is mostly (not exclusively) viewed by Fremantle users etc.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-19 at 01:13.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I'm sure 99% of the users just click on 'New posts' on the right panel. And it will show your thread, no matter where you posted it.

Thanks for bringing this to everybodies attention

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
That's true, but majority of users aren't aware of subtleties like that, & even if they are they don't care to use it, as they're not heavy users like some of us.
Anyway, this is a once off, the threads where discussion needs to continue are linked., cheers.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Further to the aforementioned thread is this one:
We need a name for the NFP entity that Maemo.org's changing to: add your idea/vote!
It's best not to discuss the focus of this thread in the previously linked one.
Please allocate some time to participle in one or both of these threads.
Every community members voice is valued, so long as they have decent/constructive ideas.
This public transmission is now over... Thank-you.

That's somewhat of a broad assertion to make, I don't think you can make it without coming-off as slightly snooty.
Sigh. I said two days ago it's too late to reconsider names.

And lma is right - the community forum and the community mailing list are the designated places for community items.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
SD69,

Why is it too late, councillors never addressed ANY subsequent posts (& often missed prior ones, or chunks).
Please take a few minutes to address them in the thread... Thank-you.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-19 at 02:47.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
SD69,

I think of all the people around here, you are the one who can be trusted to respect the Community reaching a consensus on a name for the Foundation. Although you may feel the name poll is coming as a distraction for you and the Council, I hope you take this in your stride as it would be a Community decision [something you have strived to always attain].

I think at this point without the name chosen or the poll opened, its a bit too easy to speculate on the results of the poll. So, let's wait for the poll to be completed with results and then try to slot it in? I've PM'ed jalyst requesting if possible to have a rank in order of preference poll so that it would better represent the Community's decision.

I would also like to request all members for once, to put aside their loyalties to either platform. This is a poll for the whole Community not for any chosen group neither is it a poll by Harmattan users looking to leave their mark.

Please vote in the upcoming poll with loyalties kept aside and simply wishing for the best of the Community!

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Definitely the last bump of this thread...
Poll is live in an hr, hopefully no more, last chance to share your NFP name, or your negatives/positives for the current names.
Just skimming the entire thread once more to make sure I haven't missed anything that needs to be added to the 1st post.

@SD69
I spoke to one of the councillors, they're going to ask you in the meeting on Friday what the major obstacles with having a community decided name are, & if they can be surmounted.
In the poll thread I've asked all the Qns necessary to get clarification on exactly why it's not possible, but I've had no answers to some, & some that were answered were vague.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-20 at 08:52.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
SD69,

I think of all the people around here, you are the one who can be trusted to respect the Community reaching a consensus on a name for the Foundation. Although you may feel the name poll is coming as a distraction for you and the Council, I hope you take this in your stride as it would be a Community decision [something you have strived to always attain].
Hi, I don't mind a poll. But, as I said, it is literally too late to change the formal name of the nonprofit. The paperwork is done, checks are going out, public notices are being published, we have our IRS Tax Identification No - it's done (as I said days ago). This takes work, and money, and we're not doing it over again.

If you want to run a poll on a new trademark or domain name to use, that might be helpful to the Board, or not, I don't know, ask the Board candidates.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: