Active Topics

After my upgrade to beta OS2008 I'm getting just horrible performance grabbing software from the maemo repositories. Anyone else having problems?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
They're being hammered. Patience.

They're probably getting hammered because so many other people are re-installing at the same time.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
They're being hammered. Patience.
That's as may be, but surely not as much as normal debian repositories on a daily basis. Think of the 4Kbs downloads for the new firmware. I think it may be a bandwidth problem on Nokia's end.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Debian repositories have far more mirrors.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Maemo site is always a nightmare...

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Debian repositories have far more mirrors.
Zerojay, mirrors don't figure into a repository. If you add a repository to your sources.list it doesn't fall over to a mirror if performance is bad. The repository either has bandwidth to handle requests or it doesn't.

Sure, but Debian repositories generally have huge amounts of bandwidth to spare because they're hosted by universities and hosting companies. Maemo isn't, just be patient.

And Debian users usually use their local mirror, not the central Debian server. And companies with a number of Debian users may even have their own mirror of a mirror.. as where I work, for example. So the load tends to be quite distributed.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Midwest
i know i dont have the right to complain about repos but why is it hard to install an application with the ITs. i just flashed my N800 and im very happy about it, but tried to install UKMP but it needs python then it needs lib/repo. i mean why can't older version work on new OS (backward compatible). will this happen again in the final OS2008 and futture OS? can developers embed repos on its software so that it wont ask missing libs its so frustrating. sorry guys, im not mad but just a little upset that i had to deal same problems. i just wish my favorite apps, Canola - Kagu - mPlayer - UKMP will work without problems in the future. im a basic user, just want to surf the net and play my media files. i dont like Apple and will always loyal fan of Nokia.