Posts: 320 | Thanked: 763 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, FInland
Originally Posted by MortenS View Post
I was kinda hoping that the guys from Nokia could shed some light on at.
I'm really sorry for being silent in this thread last week. It was quite busy week for my team. Will try to improve it from now on.

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
My case is that I get the "traditional" can't connect message(s) when setting up MfE in N9's Accounts, even though credentials are correct.

Some updates to my case:

- Interestingly enough my friend said that his MfE had also ceased working properly after setting it up, probably related to the sync issues people have been complaining about
- We're running Exchange 2010 in the organization and I don't get any SSL warnings over the OWA (webmail) client on the phone's browser
- Setting phone to lock with a security code doesn't help either (Settings->Security->Device lock->Autolock 10 minutes), this was suggested in a "remotely related" Android phone discussion
- Tried also using the Exchange account ActiveSync number instead of domain\username (as domain\number) which was suggested in the Nokia Support Discussions, without success
- I enabled logging, but there is nothing over activesync.log which would even indicate that the phone had been trying to connect to this server (the log does have input over the other Exchange server through MfE though)
- Both Exchange Servers are running version 8.1.240.0, with the CA difference that the working one (where no SSL complaint was seen) has DigiCert and the other Cybertrust (in addition, the "working server" has a quite much "out of the box" setup)

Anything I could help with, getting this solved? Unfortunately, modifying the Exchange Server settings for less security is not an option.

Last edited by Axu; 2011-10-17 at 17:34.

Originally Posted by arsaa View Post
.but it seems like the email retrieval is too slow....
Could you define "slow"? Just to understand the problem better.

Originally Posted by MortenS View Post
Hi All,

If any of you are wondering about MDM (Mobile Device Management systems) for Nokia N9, here's what I found out:

I hope my questions and comments above are an inspiration to some who knows more about this than me, and might want to add/clarify further?!
Thanks a lot for your meaningful post. I have forwarded it to our business people. because this is business development question which can be answered by the people who are authorized to speak on behalf of the company. Not me.

Originally Posted by arsaa View Post
im not really sure whats the allow non-provisional device is for..anybody could help explain please?
Let me provide you technical but user-friendly answer.
  • MS Exchange server recognizes 2 types of devices - provisionable and non-provisionable.
  • Provisionable devices can be "provisioned" by MS Exchange server with different security settings. E.g., "Autolock feature should be activated", "Autoloc period should not be greater than 10 minutes", "The length of the unlock code should not be less than 5 symbols" etc.
  • Non-provisionable devices are considered to be dummy - they can not handle these requests.

Server administrator has check box "Allow non-provisionable devices". If this box is turned on, server works with such devices. If it is unchecked, it rejects all the connections from them. The value of this option depends on the company policy. According to my personal observations, companies with US HQ tend to have this option disabled while the companies with EU HQ tend to have this option enabled.

N900 was non-provisionable device. N9 can be provisionable or non-provisionable device depending on the value of the UI setting in question. Obviously, you can't change the value of this option after setting the account up.

What is the benefit of turning this UI setting? E.g., your server security policies are stupid from your PoV (something like, autolock should be activated in 5 mins inactivity time) but in the same time non-provisionable devices are allowed by server administrator.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
This would be a big problem, if I buy N9 and cant connect to my server. How the hell does iphone do it without a hitch?
I've had same issue with iPhone. You have to configure server properly to accept connections from any device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hihu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jeremy_laine View Post
Is the IMAP code contained in the opensource Qt Messaging Framework? If so I might be able to take a look.
Yes. It is completely there. If you can provide us any hints, it would be really great. Patches are always welcome, that's a dream!

Originally Posted by arkanoid View Post
Still occasional random merged contact "explosions" and duplicates do happen.
Could you define "explosion"?

Originally Posted by lma View Post
So no change then, I got excited over nothing :-(
Hm. This is backend. IMAP code, POP3 code, SMTP code. Not nothing.

N9 - Mail for Exchange fails after initial synchronization.

This issue may already have been described in this thread or elsewhere. Forgive me if this is the case. Hopefully someone can give me a pointer if this is the case.

A more detailed description.

Mail for Exchange synchronization only works when:
a) The account has just been created.
b) The account has been deactivated and activated again. (easier and my current work around)

The first synchronization works fine, all emails, contacts and calendar data is received and stored in the N9 device. Any subsequent synchronization, gives an error like "Can't connect to the server" (a bit uncertain of the english error message having swedish language in my device).

Only way around the issue is to delete and recreate the account (a) or to deactivate and activate the account (b).

Changing access point between different nets as gprs or wifi doesn't help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImSoQt For This Useful Post:

Tags
attachments, email, issues, mail exchange, nokia n9, nokia n950