Active Topics

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
so i dont know if i miss something or if its really not available, but i would love to have a desktop widget to enable/disable wlan.
also, i'd like to be set a standard wlan to connect to if you enable it.

i mostly use wlan when i'm at home (i suppose most people do), and its kinda inconvenient to tap tje status bar on top, hit internet connection, wait for your desired wlan to show up and click again to connect to it.
likewise for disconnecting.

it would be great to have a configurable desktop-icon that you click and it automatically connects you to your desired wlan if its available (or just opening the wlan-screen if desired wlan is not available to choose from other available wlans)

any ideas?

The Following User Says Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Launch the Settings app and set it to connect automatically via either WLAN or Any Connection. Then, set the "Search interval" and "Switch to WLAN when available" values to whatever you see fit for your usage. The phone will then connect automatically to know wifi access point whenever it's in range.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
yes this solution kinda works, but what about disconnecting?
is there a way to disable wlan automatically when not used (ie all apps that need internet are closed, wlan disconnects instantly)

btw i know i'm being anal with this, but i want my usage of maemo to be as convenient as possible

Last edited by msa; 2010-01-13 at 00:10.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Espoo, Finland
Anyone found a way to open (and close) WLAN-connection with a shortcut on desktop? Can it be done in terminal?

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
mehdiE, That solution also drains your battery to some extent.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Poland
u can do that manually by WiFi Switcher appl.

Originally Posted by juahan View Post
Anyone found a way to open (and close) WLAN-connection with a shortcut on desktop? Can it be done in terminal?
I can disconnect from WLAN or cellular data just by typing disconnect in the terminal, but I'm not sure if that's always been there or added by Matan's awesome MOD to make the phone more keyboard friendly.. anyway, if the command doesn't work just create a file called disconnect in /usr/bin, with this in it (one line):
Code:
dbus-send --system --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd_ui com.nokia.icd_ui.disconnect boolean:true
Of course you can just type the same text in terminal and it'll work, but this gives it a shorter name. And for all I know, you can get this on desktop just by making a shortcut where Exec=osso-xterm 'disconnect'

You can also connect to a specific WLAN or GPRS network, it can be done with this:
Code:
dbus-send --type=method_call --system --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:IAP_ID uint32:0
IAP_ID can be found using the command
Code:
gconftool -R /system/osso/connectivity/IAP
More at the wiki

Last edited by low life; 2010-02-25 at 16:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to low life For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by low life View Post
if the command doesn't work just create a file called disconnect in /usr/bin, with this in it (one line):
Code:
dbus-send --system --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd_ui com.nokia.icd_ui.disconnect boolean:true
Of course you can just type the same text in terminal and it'll work, but this gives it a shorter name. And for all I know, you can get this on desktop just by making a shortcut where Exec=osso-xterm 'disconnect'
After making the file and trying to run it, it gives permission denied error. Do I have to change the file permissions somehow?

While you're in /usr/bin as root;

chmod og+rx disconnect

This should give the file same rights as I have.

The Following User Says Thank You to low life For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by low life View Post
While you're in /usr/bin as root;

chmod og+rx disconnect

This should give the file same rights as I have.
That did the trick, thanks!