Active Topics

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
At least not until a software update later on possibly allows tethering of some kind.
Thanks for confirming johnkzin. It just seemed like such a basic option that I didn't think it would or even could be 'disabled'

I would hope they'd make this available at release, but I guess they are trying to drive the market through the G1, so to speak.

As for BT, now I'm wondering if it allows for file transfer, or is the only reason for having it to enable wireless headphones?

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
@Greyghost:

Google employee Dan Morill of the Android Developer Blog has revealed that the first version of the Android platform to hit the market with a phone will not have OBEX or GAP Bluetooth profiles.

The omissions, preventing Bluetooth file transfers and Bluetooth device connection, are expected to come in a later version.
http://icrontic.com/news/android_v10...tooth_or_gtalk

Last edited by eiffel; 2008-10-17 at 16:16. Reason: Context

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Thanks eiffel, now it makes sense. I'm willing to wait for something that works correctly. Given Google's track record, I expect the update to come fairly quickly...say by the first of the year, do you think?

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
1st: I was just speaking to the T-Mobile rep about this phone. First he says it launches and is available "tomorrow" 10/21 but I always take what they say with a grain of salt.

2nd: T-Mobiles 3G network is supposedly already in place for some cities (check their website for the list). I live in Sacramento California and it is already in place according to him just no phone is able to use it until the G1 is launched.

3rd: They say the 3G plan is $24.99 per month for the 3G internet speed, T-Mobile hotspots and EDGE/GPRS as a bundle. The EDGE/GPRS is for those unlucky people outside of the 3G area. Oh, and if you want unlimited text messaging it was an additional $5 per month.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by Munk View Post

2nd: T-Mobiles 3G network is supposedly already in place for some cities (check their website for the list). I live in Sacramento California and it is already in place according to him just no phone is able to use it until the G1 is launched.
Hmm, T-mobile touts several phones in its lineup that can take advantage of it's 3G network.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by tso View Post
hmm, reviews as trickling in, and the most interesting is the number of im networks supported out of the box.
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
Oh, and if you want unlimited text messaging it was an additional $5 per month.
I look forward to the day when everyone's running standard IM clients on their phones, and phone companies can no longer charge extra for "text messaging". That's gotta big one of the biggest rip-offs since bottled water.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
standard im? sure, but whos standard?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I look forward to the day when everyone's running standard IM clients on their phones, and phone companies can no longer charge extra for "text messaging". That's gotta big one of the biggest rip-offs since bottled water.
a) which of them is the standard? Jabber has some issues (so far, I haven't found one that lets you set your status to invisible, for example), and I'd rather not be tied into Microsoft for MSN's chat program. That leaves Yahoo vs AIM. Which one is "the standard"?

b) I have yet to see any phone based IM client whose interface and user experience was as nice as the SMS/MMS messaging interface. For example, on my Nokia E61i, the IM client options are all complete crap when compared to how easy and straight forward it is to use/manage/etc. the SMS/MMS interface.

c) For some carriers, the "rip-off" applies to both IM and SMS/MMS. (T-Mobile USA groups them together into one service, so "unlimited messaging" applies to both IM and SMS/MMS ... as does "pay per message", so there's no real advantage to picking IM over SMS/MMS in terms of cost).

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
a) Sorry, two people tripped over my use of the word "standard". I'm hoping the answer to the IM "standard" question would be, "all of them". Including Jabber, MSN, AIM, ICQ, whatever your friends are on.

b) I wonder why phones would have crappy interfaces on free services, but nice ones on paid services? Strange!

c) This is what I meant by "standard," you should be able to run a "standard" IM client (non-proprietary) that works over TCP/IP, so the carrier cannot charge you extra for extremely tiny blips of data. It sounds like T-Mobile has been very clever, creating an IM client that reports use to the carrier. Those clever bastards.

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-20 at 19:18.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
There is now a Flash based emulator of the T-Mobile G1 located below. It gives you an idea of how it will work but they probably shouldn't call it an "emulator" but rather a look-a-like.:

http://tmobile.modeaondemand.com/htc/g1/