Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Hello,

What field in chat css controls the placement of avatars? I want to position it all the way to the left of the screen. Currently it has some spacing from the very left side of the screen. Would be nice to get little extra space Let us know if you have any idea.

Anyone done a mod that has your avatar and the names removed? Don't need to waste space with the names since you can see your picture and the other person's picture so know who wrote what.

If anyone has done this would you be so kind as to upload the modded files. Thanks.

This might be exactly what you want: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=712

Avatars only, no need names to distinguish typers. One above your post I am questioning how to maximum the typing area (need to move avatar and get little extra space from the right end.)

Originally Posted by gsever View Post
This might be exactly what you want: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=712

Avatars only, no need names to distinguish typers. One above your post I am questioning how to maximum the typing area (need to move avatar and get little extra space from the right end.)
Thanks. Tried to follow the instructions and I had no idea what I was doing. Just ended up with error messages.

Could someone who has successfully done this upload their file?

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Thanks. Tried to follow the instructions and I had no idea what I was doing. Just ended up with error messages.

Could someone who has successfully done this upload their file?
Hey etuoyo,

Try again putting
Code:
name_tag.textContent = "";
right before the following line

Code:
return new_message;
in both MessagingWidgetsChatConversation.js and MessagingWidgetsSMSConversation.js files.

Here comes my final modding [Great thanks to termi_uc for his help to modify my css file and his comments.]

Summarizing my steps:

1-) MessagingWidgetsChatConversation.css file modified. You have to replace it with yours. (Under /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html) This will modify your IM conversations. Similar modifications might be applied to SMSConversation.css. For me SMS (texting) goes through GoogleVoice (hehe yes still wifi only ) therefore no need to modify. The file is attached --use at your own freewill. Just don't forget to rename postfix to css.

2-) Texting space is increased to 720 px from 672. Almost 50 px more gain That means both the avatar and the time-stamp is full justified to the screen edges. You will see this better with original avatars than these icons.

3-) Conversations are groupped. Meaning only one picture is shown if you are continuing your own text. Likewise for the other party.

4-) No names are shown, which I don't really need to see names. Avatars are more than enough. This is done in the css file without a need to modify the corresponding js file.

5-) My font size is at 28px. Feel free to play with font-size value. You could also install Font Changer app to get bigger fonts in the text entry area.

6-) Full-screening This my new most favorite feature. For this you need Easy Debian. Not sure you need the image file, the scripts might just suffice (I need confirmation on this one). "Set Deb HW Keys" makes the trick. As default ctrl+space switches you to full-screen.

Any questions or comments? Just ask...
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt MessagingWidgetsChatConversation.txt (2.2 KB, 236 views)

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Ahhh, thanks gsever - fortunately you can do the same thing in Maemo itself, no need for easy debian or other complex applications and methodology at all.

"Set Deb HW Keys" uses xbindkeys to run the command "wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,fullscreen" - it assigns this, as you said to ctrl + space (also ctrl + up arrow)

If you want to do this without mounting all the debian stuff, I've complied xbindkeys and attached below (if I get a PM or two showing interest then I'll make a proper deb file and add it to extras)

First thing you need to do, if you don't have one already is create /home/user/.xbindkeysrc and add:

Code:
  "wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,fullscreen"                         
    m:0x4 + c:65                                                    
    Control + space
Next, upload xbindkeys to /opt/xbindkeys/bin/xbindkeys (or wherever you want to) and then run...

/opt/xbindkeys/bin/xbindkeys -f /home/user/.xbindkeysrc

Now any time you hit ctrl + space it will toggle full screen on whatever the active window is at the time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xbindkeys.zip (34.8 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by dchky; 2010-09-29 at 05:19.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
@dchky,

I see your point. When I start "Set Deb HW Keys" it mounts debian image to work. I would like this to be released as a separate application. It would also be nice to be able to start this process during the startup. Because right now I have to start HW keys each time after the system is rebooted.

That ctrl+space binding makes any Maemo5 window full-screen basicly which is very useful. You could create a new thread and we could discuss further before we start polluting this one.

ok I have read through this whole thread and many others on this subject and I do not understand how to get this to work. Like this part

"(0. make a backup of the original files! ^^)
1. place a picture with 60x60 in /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html/ named "avatar.png"
2. replace the three files (html, css, js) in the same folder with my modded files"

How do i make the backup?? this is not clear. All I wanna do is simply make it so there are 2 avatars in the messages inbox, why is it so hard!?

love the conv-ui_theme5
unfortunately it comes on SMS only... is it possible to use it on IM conversations too?

Tags
bada rox, his lunchbox