I have a bunch POI in KML file downloaded from Google maps. Now I am trying to open it in my N9.
First I tried gpsbabel and LMX format. The phone does not open it, neither from file manager nor via /usr/bin/maps lalala.kml.
Then I found some old pyton script ( http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=61905 ) which converts KML to "db" but I have no idea where I put this lalala.db.
I could upload POI to the Nokia Maps website and then synchronize but the website does not support any import.

Is there any solution?

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Not sure if it helps, but you can use GPSBabel to convert KML to GPX.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Not sure if it helps, but you can use GPSBabel to convert KML to GPX.
Aaaaaand what do I do with GPX? ;-)
Well I can run /usb/bin/maps lalala.gpx but it does not show any POI from it anyway.

Last edited by aik; 2012-09-09 at 00:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to aik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
I've been trying to get POIs in Maps as well. On the N95 it was very easy: Maps supported .lmx, which was easy enough and supported by GPSBabel. Not on N9 Maps. But Maps on N9 seems limited compared to the Symbian versions. Nokia is also dropping the ball on open standards - the N9 is somewhat lacking even compared to earlier Symbian devices. Guess Nokia was already practicing for th transition to their new ultra-closed Microsoft overlord.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 418 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina
it would be better import garmin's IMG

so there's absolutely no way to import POI information into N9's nokia maps, is there?

I have a .gpx that I converted to .lmx but, like the topic starter, I cannot 'open' the file in N9 (which is supposed to be enough under symbian).

any hints or ideas?

The Following User Says Thank You to jorge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
It seems to be possible, with some coding. Two options worth investigating:
  • QML Landmark, for use in QtQuick. I don't know if this is in any way related to Maps.
  • /home/user/.cities/NokiaMaps.db, a SQLite database which actually contains the POIs in the "position" table. I guess it would be quite easy to write a (Python? QtQuick?) tool to manage these POI's. Just copy the file to pc and have a peek using one of the many SQLite tools out there. It should be really easy to open an XML-based file, grab the coordinates and plug them in the database.

I've been looking for an excuse to try Python, however I'm finding myself thin one time lately

Last edited by Fuzzillogic; 2012-10-16 at 18:28.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
So I learned some Python and I created FavMan, the N9 Nokia Maps favorite manager. Don't get too excited, there's no nice GUI and undoubtedly full of bugs. It can however export and display the current favorites to a GPX-file and import new favorites from a GPX-file. Conversion from GPX to KML/LMX/whatever can be done using GPSBabel.

Backup your database at /home/user/.cities/NokiaMaps.db before using this tool!

Basic usage:
  1. extract the zip somewhere on your N9/50.
  2. Open a terminal in the directory where you've placed the files.
  3. Run "python favman.py -h" for details.

That last command yields:

Code:
usage: favman.py [-h] (-loaddb [file] | -loadgpx [file]) [-savedb [file] |
                 -savegpx [file]]

FavMan v1.0.0. Manages favorites/POIs in the Nokia N9 Maps database.
Public domain by Randy Simons.

WARNING

This is experimental software. Be sure to backup your Nokia Maps database, located in /home/user/.cities/NokiaMaps.db, before using this tool.

optional arguments:
  -h, --help       show this help message and exit
  -loaddb [file]   Load favorites from database. Default if no file specified:
                   /home/user/.cities/NokiaMaps.db
  -loadgpx [file]  Load favorites from GPX file. Default if no file specified:
                   favorites.gpx
  -savedb [file]   Save favorites to database. Default if no file specified:
                   /home/user/.cities/NokiaMaps.db
  -savegpx [file]  Save favorites to GPX file Default if no file specified:
                   favorites.gpx

Notes:
 * It is yet unknown what will happen if you sync imported favorites. It probably won't blow up your phone, but please do make a backup!

Tips:        
 * Only GPX v1.0 files supported. Favorities must/will be stored as waypoints.
 * Use GPSBabel (gpsbabel.org) to convert various type of geolocation data, including GPX and Nokia's LMX.
 * Nokia Maps database is stored in /home/user/.cities/NokiaMaps.db         
 * Nokia Maps will recreate a fresh datbase if the original database cannot be found. (e.g. renamed, deleted)
 * Use Sqlite3Explorer (http://www.singular.gr/sqlite/, download dll from http://sqlite.org/download.html) to inspect Nokia Maps database.

Examples:
favman.py -loaddb
Opens default database and shows all favorites.

favman.py -loadgpx
Loads waypoints from favorites.gpx and displays them on screen. Use this to verify if the gpx file can be read correctly.

favman.py -loaddb -savegpx
Opens default database and exports favorites to POIs.gpx

favman.py -loaddb NokiaMapsCopy.db -savegpx export.gpx
Opens database NokiaMapsCopy.db and exports favorites to export.gpx

favman.py -loadgpx -savedb 
Loads waypoints from favorites.gpx and stores them as favorites in the database.

favman.py -loadgpx import.gpx -savedb export.db
Loads waypoints from import.gpx and stores them as favorites in the database export.db. The original database will remain unchanged.
Warranty: it works for me, but YMMV. Other caveats: I don't know what syncing with Nokia Maps online will result in. I've only tested on PR1.3, with Python 2.6 which is pre-installed (I think).
Attached Files
File Type: zip FavMan.zip (22.1 KB, 208 views)

Last edited by Fuzzillogic; 2013-02-05 at 21:46. Reason: Attached FavMan.zip to this message instead of hosting it myself.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the solution of the problem.
I struggled with the issue for almost a year ...

I uploaded for N8 Belle a GPX 582 kB - over 2400 POI.
Everything works.
Although problems with the conversion was a lot.

So, contrary to the assurances of Nokia, will be transferred KML to NokiaMaps.

The Following User Says Thank You to m_p_13 For This Useful Post:
are these offline POI only? i find searching POI online is also lacking

The Following User Says Thank You to deviantv1ral For This Useful Post: