Active Topics

Originally Posted by nikos523 View Post
If you can't find any use, its obvious that you don't need anything from this phone.
Give it to someone that wants to fix it and use it. Make someone happy with something you dont even use.
I really would have done it already if it were easy to securely wipe the memory. But so much has changed since I was using it, and firmware/flasher harder to come by...figuring out how to do it before giving it to someone is a time waster I am not up for.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
I really would have done it already if it were easy to securely wipe the memory.
I have bought 5 N900's in the last 1.5 years and only one was wiped. The rest had photo's / mail / conversations / contacts etc etc.
Most people don't care or are not aware that these phones don't wipe themselves after the sim card is removed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Most people don't care or are not aware that these phones don't wipe themselves after the sim card is removed.
Happy to not be most people.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
I do not own a n9 but even my spare n8/n900 serve on regular basis as:

- Timelapse device if you have some work to document
- Babyphone
- Surveillance- or Webcam
- mobile wifi data storage
- spare data sim hotspot
- Dedicated Navi to not get interrupted by calls
- torch and car youtube device for the kids
- webradio (mostly SomaFM)

So, after a towel, i can not imagine a more universal helper than a spare smartphone!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
I have bought 5 N900's in the last 1.5 years and only one was wiped. The rest had photo's / mail / conversations / contacts etc etc.
That kind of number just screams for a bigger, broader survey. My gut feeling tells me the results will be the same or even worse if you investigate on a larger scale.

After all: The N900 used to be a special device, usually seen in the hands of people far from ordinary...

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I have purchased four N900s. Only two of them have been flashed, the two purchased from fellow TMO members. The other two were from eBay: one sold by a pawn shop, who "did not know how to turn it on". All that was needed was to charge the battery. That one still had the last owner's personal data on. To the point that I could find who the last owner was and contact him directly, in case the phone was stolen (it wasn't.). The other one was wiped through the system menu, which means no contacts or email accounts but the Sent folder was still full. I suspect very few users, even advanced ones, are aware of that vulnerability.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
It can be a upnp server or controller (or both). Or a remote control for your kodi (fka xbmc ) media computer.
It can be also a wifi mouse/keyboard to control your pc/laptop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xLrS29XhSA
https://github.com/krnlyng/mynewmousen9

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post: