Posts: 179 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bangalore
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
none is forcing you, if you think its not sufficient then don't get it.
I did not say I was being forced, or that It wasn't sufficient.

Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
a more powerful processor doesnt always need more power ...speed is not the only thing that improves efficincy as well ...if that was the case we would have our phones connected to car batteries by now ..the one thing that improves at a snails pace is battery capacity
I think it does, cos the frequency of the oscillator is higher...
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_rate)

Which is why, slower processors also dissipate less heat... while more powerful processors require more cooling.

But yes... (wishfully thinking) we would do well to have the iron man thingi on out phones

its because the OS is written around the processor and not the other way around, so much is optimized and its amazing to see how much difference optimization and adaption makes a difference, if you want to look for yourself get an n900 and load meego 1.0 onto it, and then load nemo mobile onto it and look at how much performance has been gained through optimization and adaptation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
its because the OS is written around the processor and not the other way around, so much is optimized and its amazing to see how much difference optimization and adaption makes a difference, if you want to look for yourself get an n900 and load meego 1.0 onto it, and then load nemo mobile onto it and look at how much performance has been gained through optimization and adaptation.
I never thought about that... but that makes a lot of sense... and N9 has the advantage since the hardware and software are so much in sync... you almost cant tell whether the software was created to match the hardware or whether the hardware assembled with the software in mind...

i think its why android even with dual core processors still manages to find places to lag, like a cluttered home screen, ive heard here and there the OS isn't that good at allocating its resources.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
i think its why android even with dual core processors still manages to find places to lag, like a cluttered home screen, ive heard here and there the OS isn't that good at allocating its resources.
What you have heard is FUD. I first started seeing this repeated as an excuse by WP7 users as a reason why they don't need faster processors or dual cores. They often shout about how these things are useless. It's sour grapes/cognitive dissonance. It's FUD, one person hears it then repeats it. Little do these WP7 users know that their OS is lmited to a WVGA resolution for a reason, by policy, and that soon they will get their dual core faster processors, at which point I'm sure they will all change their tune. Android is just the OS where the phone is not limited, where the newer technology exists, the higher resolutions exist, Flash exists, it is just currently the OS doing more and therefore needing more.

If you want actual information about how Android allocates resources look here:

https://plus.google.com/105051985738...ts/2FXDCz8x93s

As for newer faster processors being less efficient because of clock speed, again, not as easy as that since they do not operate at a single constant clock speed for all tasks and if that wasn't complicated enough you also have to consider time. For example, is a process that takes 5 seconds to complete at a lower clock before going idle more efficient than spending 2 seconds at a higher clock before going idle. I recently read a paper which said performing quick bursts and becoming idle quicker is actually more efficient but I can't find a link.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited by Cue; 2011-12-25 at 02:51.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by danested View Post
I think it does, cos the frequency of the oscillator is higher...
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_rate)

Which is why, slower processors also dissipate less heat... while more powerful processors require more cooling.

But yes... (wishfully thinking) we would do well to have the iron man thingi on out phones
This is only true for processors built on the same architecture and process.

For instance an arm A-8 uses <300mW vs the newer A-9 which uses <250mW even though the A-9 has greater processing power and clock speed.

Note this is available in single core

http://www.arm.com/products/processo.../cortex-a9.php
The Cortex-A9 power-optimized hard macro implementation delivers its peak performance of 4000 DMIPS while consuming less than 250mW per CPU when selected from typical silicon.

http://www.arm.com/products/processo.../cortex-a8.php
The Cortex-A8 processor can meet the requirements for power-optimized mobile devices needing operation in less than 300mW; and performance-optimized consumer applications requiring 2000 DMIPS.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qorax View Post
This one is a 'wholesome' eqpt. And OMG - what a looker! The Cameron Diaz of mobile phones !
i think the cameron diaz comparison is far more apt in the cpu department than the looks department...she is 39 and starting to show her age, sounds like OMAP to me

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
i think the cameron diaz comparison is far more apt in the cpu department than the looks department...she is 39 and starting to show her age, sounds like OMAP to me
...I should have added Cameron Diaz of MASK there !

Originally Posted by Cue View Post
What you have heard is FUD. I first started seeing this repeated as an excuse by WP7 users as a reason why they don't need faster processors or dual cores. They often shout about how these things are useless. It's sour grapes/cognitive dissonance. It's FUD, one person hears it then repeats it. Little do these WP7 users know that their OS is lmited to a WVGA resolution for a reason, by policy, and that soon they will get their dual core faster processors, at which point I'm sure they will all change their tune. Android is just the OS where the phone is not limited, where the newer technology exists, the higher resolutions exist, Flash exists, it is just currently the OS doing more and therefore needing more.

If you want actual information about how Android allocates resources look here:

https://plus.google.com/105051985738...ts/2FXDCz8x93s

As for newer faster processors being less efficient because of clock speed, again, not as easy as that since they do not operate at a single constant clock speed for all tasks and if that wasn't complicated enough you also have to consider time. For example, is a process that takes 5 seconds to complete at a lower clock before going idle more efficient than spending 2 seconds at a higher clock before going idle. I recently read a paper which said performing quick bursts and becoming idle quicker is actually more efficient but I can't find a link.

Merry Christmas everyone.
you've just allocated two out of three paragraphs that missed the point - he wasn't talking about the viabilty of new processors vs. old ones, but the optimization of android
all your points were valid though

Tags
depression, the elop flop