Active Topics

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
If Meego is being designed for capacitive, does that mean we are likely to loose the physical keyboard? This blows. I dont want meego if it has no keyboard.
For Nokia. There is a possibility that other companies could make resistive screen meego devices

The Following User Says Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
You guys have to stop believing everyone is like us. How would the average user feel if they started up the device one day only to find out everything is slightly different?

That leaves Nokia with the unattractive option of supporting two operating systems on one device. Why do you think they owe us this when an unofficial port can do the job and Maemo has Qt anyway?

You're acting like Fremantle is some kind of horrible system when in reality it is excellent with a couple of omissions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jnwi For This Useful Post:
I've got to admit that it doesn't bother me wether the N900 gets an official port of MeeGo or not. First I'm quite sure that someone will port it over and second I'm quite happy with Maemo as it is. As long as Nokia doesn't stop to support it as soon as MeeGo goes on sale...

It all boils down to: lets wait and see....

Regards,
Glasswalker

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Glasswalker For This Useful Post:
TBH though, do people want MeeGo because of the apps? If so, the Qt apps should work on Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
Does this mean that, let's say Samsung makes a resistive screen device with MeeGo on it, we can port the Samsung version?
not really. the samsung UI, designed for resistive, would most probably be closed source, just like the nokia UI is closed.

there'll be an open "reference UI" though. i wonder if this will be optimized for capacitive or resistive.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
not really. the samsung UI, designed for resistive, would most probably be closed source, just like the nokia UI is closed.

there'll be an open "reference UI" though. i wonder if this will be optimized for capacitive or resistive.
But doesn't that defeat the openness of it all? I think it should be no different from flashing the Sense UI onto a Nexus 1

Typical Nokia. And TBH, not just Nokia.

New OS in an existing mobile device? No way.
Despite some "wannabe" inside info claiming Meego MAY be available for N900, it was obviously planned from the first moment, that Meego will be available ONLY for an upcoming new device.
New OS -> New Device -> $$$$$

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to madnes For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
TBH though, do people want MeeGo because of the apps? If so, the Qt apps should work on Maemo.
I want MeeGo soley for selfish 'me-too' reasons. buying the highest-end most expensive device represents the cutting edge bleeding technology with the inference that any more advanced operating system that is deemed by the company i bought the device from to be 'the most advanced' should be available for my device.

at the very least, an operating system which is the 'successor' to the current o/s should be made firmware upgradeable, a reasonable request considering the less than 1 year age of the n900 since its release date. heck, in my country (singapore), they launched the n900 officially 2 weeks ago.

2 weeks old and it's EOL? doesn't seem to be anything than unethical social corporate responsibility from nokia. not a rant, just a realistic prosumer point of view. i love my n900, but question the actual decision-making and longevity-support from nokia's management.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thelushlife For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
It have never been said that MeeGo will be a OTA release for n900. The things that have been said that it might come a dual boot option. But the installation will be manual. So no bad news just great.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Sigh. Cool down people. Get up, take a breath of air, and then come back to the thread.

Let's take the facts:
- The N900 will not get a commercially supported MeeGo release
- The N900 is a reference development platform for MeeGo
- MeeGo (an upstream linux distro) is heading for it's 1.0 release

Out of those it is pretty easy to deduct that:
- MeeGo on the N900 is not for the average consumer.
- MeeGo will run in it's default configuration on the N900
- No-one will give any guarantees on how MeeGo on N900 will work

=> If you are a hard core developer, MeeGo on N900 is for you.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post:

Tags
dejavu, egocentric, premonition, wegot1newloser