Hi Guys,

I have a dilemma, I was messing about (after reading the N900 modifications thread) with changing the tile backgrounds on the desktop, so I copied the transparent tile over the current grey tile and it's all gone to hell from there.

I used rootsh to gainroot, then I used mc to copy the image from /MyDocs to /.usr/(where ever the theme files are, I forget)/. Now I have no doubt that this is where I went wrong.

I can no longer see the .blah files (I think they must have either all been renamed removing the . or I just can't see them). I have reflashed the firmware twice, and the eMMC once. And I have convinced myself that xterm is broken, I'll post a screenshot of what it looks like, because I am convinced it's not what it looks like by default. - Pretty please prove me wrong!

After reflashing and installing everything again, using sudo gainroot, and mc I still can't see the . files (I am just going to double double check in a minute).

I would greatly appreciate any help. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks
Attached Images

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Did you ls -al in order to see the . files? They're typically hidden..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

I fail to understand the problem here (maybe there should be more screenshots ?), "ls" by default does not show "dotfiles" eg files starting with a dot, try "ls -lah"

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
ls -a is sufficient to display .files.
You have probably moved them to the wrong folder. Use a computer and winSCP to have a closer look if you have a windows pc.

I didn't use ls -al. I used Midnight Commander. And now (after copying that file) all the hidden files aren't hidden any more (as in, they have been renamed to usr instead of .usr).

My main worry is, is this a problem if they have been renamed (or were they visible all along)?

And my other concern is whether that is what xterm displays by default (after opening it and not typing any commands)?

Thanks guys.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
The xterm looks perfectly normal to me - the fonts are bigger than I have on mine, but otherwise it's the same.

As for the usr/.usr - where is this? I'm not seeing any .usr file here, and I can't think where there would be one.

Thats good to know. I found the .usr folder in the / dir. Unless it never was a hidden folder and I am actually more of an idiot than I was previously.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Check out the table in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesys...tory_structure

maemo / the N900 mostly resembles this. The bits under /home/user/MyDocs are not part of this standard.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
I think the problem is not that you can't find the files because you ERASED them when you flashed the device.
I understood that you copied from MyDocs, which is in eMMC memory to a new directory /.usr in the file system / from the 256MB NAND memory. I am guessing you used Nokia SW Updater to flash it, and the procedure is supposed to rewrite the entire NAND memory, thus including the files you copied.

If you wanted to flash both the firmware and eMMC you should have copied your file to a microSD card (if you have one) or to a computer in mass storage mode.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
There never was a /.usr folder (unless you deliberately created one). Hidden (dot-prefixed) files/folders normally only exist within the user's home directory.