Posts: 37 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Nicholasville, Kentucky, USA
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
It's always been my policy that, given the choice between a new battery and new technology, I want the shiny new gadget.
Amen amen amen...

The choice between a new device or a free new OS for me has always been the OS. But I'm sorry to say this time, mer might not be up to par...

I think American phone companies are in a conspiracy against us...
But that's just my opinion.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
Is Mer for the N810 up to day to day use quality?
If you are developer or Linux enthusiast: Could be
Normal users: Not likely

Read Maemo summit presentations (around one month old I think):
http://www.slideshare.net/carstenmunk/mer-a-year-after
http://www.slideshare.net/guesta05d7...ective-2409559

The Following User Says Thank You to Mixu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
It's always been my policy that, given the choice between a new battery and new technology, I want the shiny new gadget.
I bought a replacement battery for my N800, and it was just as old as the one that came with the device. An old battery is an old battery.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Two questions I have about Mer on n810. Is it possible to connect to a 3g network via bluetooth (and another phone) like in Diablo??

I would love to try it, and this is the only show-stopper for me.

Is it possible to dualboot an n810?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by badran; 2009-11-30 at 10:23.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Yes, it's possible to dualboot, in fact it does so by default.
Don't know about the 3g, sorry.

Thanks for the info.

As stskeeps said a few weeks ago, Mer is transitioning to using the Fremantle desktop. From where I'm sitting (someone who has played with the last few versions of Mer), that means a temporary step back in usability. I don't consider it to be day to day usable by any means, but fun to tinker with. My uneducated opinion is that version 0.18 is when people will really start to look at what we have here.

But I don't think now is the time to lose faith in Mer. It's still in its infancy. It's in considerable flux, but moving forward. And based on my tinkering it shows a lot of promise.

I think the real questions are: when 1.0 is declared, how much usability will there be? How many rough edges? How much support / workarounds? How many people working to smooth the rough edges?

Well, I dont have any developer experience but am currently entering my first programing classes for my EE degree. I would love to spend my free time helping in anyway or anyhow and am willing to learn in order to be of help, tell me what I need to learn and I will......Must sound really stupid but I really like my NIT's and having them go to waste when they dont have to is just sad, its probably the best mobile device I have ever used and it has the potential to be so even more......Just seems like it is so close to achieving that which it promises, but is being held back by external problems. Anyways, I'll be doing my own research on how I can help or on that which I need to learn but if you have any advice on this subject drop me a line at the my maemo username @gmail.com or if you have google wave @ googlewave

The Following User Says Thank You to saruji For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by saruji View Post
I would love to spend my free time helping in anyway or anyhow and am willing to learn in order to be of help
I think you want to go here.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/People

Originally Posted by badran View Post
Two questions I have about Mer on n810. Is it possible to connect to a 3g network via bluetooth (and another phone) like in Diablo??

I would love to try it, and this is the only show-stopper for me.

Is it possible to dualboot an n810?

Thanks in advance.
last i checked bt is still broken in mer.... so no tethering yet... after they do fix it... unless they port maemo-pan into the gnome-network manager... expect to play around in the terminal (don't worry its a simple step by step process)

Tags
daily use, mer, n810, readiness