does lumiaman diarrhea on every n9 thread? Why?

on topic, I'm sure glad I pulled the trigger on my N9 64GB when I did.

LOL. Just checked Amazon here in the use and the N9 16 GB is going for $130 *more* than a no-contract Lumia 900.

I guess it just shows you that a pretty phone running a broken shell of an OS from the 1980s (CE) with a pretty Silverlight wrapper, no filesystem, broken bluetooth and no future doesn't appeal to people as much as a phone with a real operating system that actually works.

Last edited by Mize; 2012-05-20 at 03:45.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mize For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mize View Post
does linesman diarrhea on every n9 thread? Why?

on topic, I'm sure glad I pulled the trigger on my N9 64GB when I did.

LOL. Just checked Amazon here in the use and the N9 16 GB is going for $130 *more* than a no-contract Lumia 900.

I guess it just shows you that a pretty phone running a broken shell of an OS from the 1980s (CE) with a pretty Silverlight wrapper, no filesystem, broken bluetooth and no future doesn't appeal to people as much as a phone with a real operating system that actually works.
Silverlight wrapper? WP7.5 doesn't support Silverlight. No sir!

It's called a "Silverlight Applet" here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...hlight=1.2+end

So care to elaborate? I'm certainly no WP expert, but my company abandoned CE for embedded applications a long time ago. Seems WP is still making use of it...?

It doesn't support Silverlight in web browser (a MS alternative to Adobe flashplayer). I'm not sure what the author meant by 'Silverlight applet'.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
It doesn't support Silverlight in web browser (a MS alternative to Adobe flashplayer). I'm not sure what the author meant by 'Silverlight applet'.
The "author" meant that Windows Phone 7 apps are written in Silverlight, and the Windows Phone 7 OS provides a runtime environment for running Silverlight apps. Having no Silverlight support in the (probably also written in Silverlight itself) browser is another story...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I also confirmed it is a CE kernel with no file system access, no ability to save email attachments other than pictures (and then you can only save to the viewer app) no Bluetooth file transfer, no PDF viewer (let alone annotations), etc. Basically a Zune mp3 player with a phone app. Purely a toy compared to any phone with a real OS.

WP7 makes iOS look like a full blown Unix (especially jailbroken).

Last edited by Mize; 2012-05-20 at 13:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mize For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I once wanted to download an ISO with my Lumia in order to copy it to my laptop later. No way! Lumia just told me that this file is "not supported by Windows Phone" instead of downloading it.

Btw, there is a PDF reader available on WP. Acrobat Reader. But it's really bad, IMHO.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
That's just lame. Right before my last trip to Asia I found out I was to meet with and give presentations to a couple customers I hadn't known about. I didn't have time to pull out my laptop, so I had a colleague email a few powerpoints to me, retrieved and saved them on my N9 on the way to the airport, then copied them to my laptop somewhere over Canada on the plane to edit. Now I realize there are other ways to skin this cat, but this is something I simply could not have done on WP7 (or iOS, though webOS can)

Edit: oh yeah, and WP7 doesn't have multitasking...WTF? craziness.

Last edited by Mize; 2012-05-20 at 16:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mize For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
Actually what Samsung is doing is the smart way to do it. The average consumer doesn't care about operating system, only if it's cool or not.

Samsung currently have 2 or 3 phones that can be considered top of the pile (Galaxy, Nexus and Note), they will sell millions of these phones on reputation now.

Android works just about, it bridges the gap. They start rolling out Tizen to their new major devices and phase out Android without any fuss. People buy it, start using it in their millions and so a new ecosystem is born.

Nokia in their great wisdom did the opposite.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faustino For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Lumia and subsequent phones will save Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: