Notices

I'm so pumped that N900 supports FLAC - no reconverting!

But, it looks like it can't read thew ID3 tags they contain - so I'm getting a huge category of "Unknown song/artist". It's a drag!

Am I missing some better way to tag flac, or is it the N900's player's fault"

Is there an alternative to the default player, BTW? I'm ot articularly thrilled with it, prety limited functionality.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
ID3 tags are not a standard feature for FLAC, and aren't expected to work in all decoders (see http://flac.sourceforge.net/faq.html) - you'd be better using OGG tags rather than ID3.

Didn't even know there were OGG tags. Can I apply them to FLAC files the same as ID3 tags?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
You should be able to, yes - depends what tool you're using for tagging. All the tools I've used for ripping/tagging use OGG tags with FLAC rather than ID3 tags.

Install the latest version of OGG support. It includes support for FLAC tags.

Not sure if it's in extras, but it is at least in extras-testing. Works very well.

I used the very good and functional mp3tag to organize my music collection. The N900, with OGG support installed, recognizes the tags for FLAC produced by that program.

Thanks for the app advice - as I said, I didn't even know there was an OGG-specific tag! N900 is currently being replaced for flawed screen, but as soon as I get it back I'll check the OGG tags on my FLAC audio files.

It will be a big relief - I was dreading hundreds of songs with "unknown name, unknown artist" tags....

ive always used ogg tags for all my flacs. n900 couldnt read these at first but recent build of ogg support fixes this

Yep the N900 is a media powerhouse, easily has the best support for file formats and codecs out of the box and then with applications can cover most of the rest it does not have.

32gb memory + up to 32gb more with microsd means a good amount of space.

That said I find that FLAC is overkill and still consumes too much space for me since I have over 50gb of songs and want some movies on here too.

I have a very simple pain free way to convert flac to ultra high quality AAC files if your interested that will save you a ton of space, increase compatibility, and still be the same listening quality IMO.

I have spent the last week tagging my music collection and I am only half way done, its easy for full CD's but the random files I have here and there from rare artist are a major pain to track down album and cover art for... and guys if anybody knows a better way to tag a few tracks in an album with mp3tag please let me know! The move up/down interface is just absolutely horrible!

> Every time you move a file down to its position in the track list, it moves the one below it up so it keeps messing up the order. You have no real indication of what placement the track is in as there is no number listing on the right pane, you have to visually try to line it up with the tag database in the left pain. Its just so horrible for an otherwise really great program and so I hope I am missing some magic technique with the program to tag partial albums easier.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Ex Falso is a great tool for tagging (on Linux).

Originally Posted by ViciousXUSMC View Post

32gb memory + up to 32gb more with microsd means a good amount of space.
haha, we can dream, right? is it Q209 yet?