Posts: 234 | Thanked: 281 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Helsinki

Well. OSes dies and new ones are born. Tizen, meltemi, baidu OS are the future.

Just wish one might become an OS of the present.

As a Touchpad owner this is no surprise to me, that has had virtually no support since I bought it just after release.

In some ways WebOS actually has better support than MeeGo mind you, having 10ton on board for starters has given it a good amount of retail quality games to choose from(for example it receintly received Azkend 2, and before that IronWorm).

I tend to think of MeeGo as the spiritual successor to WebOS, as it always feels to me like a progression to what WebOS was doing. Of course sadly MeeGo doesn't have a future either, and personally I doubt Tizen, meltemi, baidu OS etc. will have a much better future. Folks these days are too programed to iOS or Android when it comes to buying a new phone, with WP7 mopping up those that fall inbetween.

I've had alot of people admire my N9, but none would consider buying one due to lack of big name support.

Fact of the matter is we live in a "me too" society and iOS and Android are where it's at for vast majority.

Last edited by Tetlee; 2012-05-25 at 19:02.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tetlee For This Useful Post:
Enyo team members working with Matias Duarte can only be a good thing IMO. Shame they all had to decided that google was a better home for them but I can't really blame them

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-05-25 at 20:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
It does seem as though the best are coalescing around android given the abandonment of better OSes. Basically it's becoming iOS, Android and possibly WP8 and BB10 with BB10 being a longshot.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Well this is not good news I was no fan of webOS but I'd rather use that than android. And it's bad news because HP didn't dare to become anything other than MS biggest OEM. It's a pitty knowing that we're going into a 2 OS world IMO win phails will never make it. I have some hope for BB after watching the BB10 videos though

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Well. OSes dies and new ones are born. Tizen, meltemi, baidu OS are the future.
Tizen, Meltemi is already dead. Baidu?? dunno bout it

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Meh...I'm still using webOS on my Pre3 which is a pretty darned good phone. Has a better email client than my N9 and a Tapatalk client too. And if you like to swipe...I find myself switching between the two regularly but eyeing an Android phone for down the road. Definitely not WP.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I would rather say that Tizen seems to be quite alive under the Samsung umbrella & Maltemi is a big unknown at the moment.

UPDATE: I have a WebOS device (the HP Touchpad) an it is indeed quite a nice OS.

My biggest gripe ? The unavailability of a decent GUI toolkit for application development. You can either use the highlevel HTML/Javascript based Mojo or Enyo, but heaven forbid if you want to something more demanding than a form-filling app, work with files or do some more advanced graphics (I have heard about a developer who had to convert an image to list of 0 and 1 in JSON just to save it to disk). Oh and of course you application probably won't run anywhere else.

There is also SDL (it is mostly used by games), even with unofficial Python bindings. SDL is on the other hand rather rather low-level.

So what about Qt ? Actually, it is a part of WebOS 3 running on the Touchpad and a bunch of the UI is implemented in QML. But third party developers can't use it for their applications & it is not documented in any way !

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-05-25 at 23:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: