Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki
Tried this for a few weeks and reverted back to stock. Caused problems with ringtones, sometimes played nokia tune, sometimes my own ringtone, sometimes didnt play anything.

Thanks Ima!

I have removed thumb from my DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS environment variable, and also from /targets/FREMANTLE_ARMEL.environment inside of scratchbox. Quick tests of a libpulse0 package built without thumb shows no sign of the previous erratic ring behavior. I will test the original source patch again and see if it helps the stuttering.

As to why the Nokia PR 1.2 binarys do not match what I build from the source code they are distributing for that release; It looks like the difference in pa_init_proplist could also be due to the build environment. because they may not have had GTK libraries installed when they built it. The extra code in my binary seems fairly harmless so I'm not going to worry about it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brad112358 For This Useful Post:
I have uploaded a patched libpulse0 package, this time, built without thumb instructions:

http://n900.awardspace.biz/libpulse0...+0m5_armel.deb

This is the only package which actually needs to be replaced to test this patch. The other pulseaudio packages are not affected and the standard PR1.2 versions should be used. I also don't see any need to pin this package for testing purposes and I can't think of any reason it shouldn't work with the stock kernel (Though I haven't tested it that way). Just download and install the package (might be best to reboot to ensure everything is using the new library). Since it has the same version number as the stock package, it shouldn't be replaced by the package manager until something newer is available. This is working well so far for me, including ringtones. Let us all know if it helps reduce stuttering for you.

Thanks,

--Brad

Last edited by brad112358; 2010-09-21 at 05:19. Reason: Added suggestion to reboot and mentioned that ringtones work

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to brad112358 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
so will ringtones work properly with the above? ???

will test.......

thanks!

edit: check ur link too mate

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-09-21 at 04:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
just did a quick test:

did 4 calls to my phone, 3 worked - the first went straight to message bank.. but I may have dialled number wrong.

looking good so far !!

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
You da man brad, still no probs !! TTTHHHAAAAANNNNKKKKSSSS !!!!

I noticed problems very quickly with Mohammad's version

is this suppose to fix that little pause u get when u push the power button while listenin to music or does anyone know how to. its annoying

My experience so far is that the non-thumb version I built of the patched library is not a full fix for the pauses and stuttering, but it does seem to reduce the severity. For example when listening to OGG via the Panucci 0.9, I still hear a very short pause when something else uses a significant percentage of the CPU. Even screen blanking causes a brief pause with this application. Media player seems to buffer more and thus play smoother. But at least with this version, there should be no adverse side effects like your phone not ringing :-) . The theoretical effect of the patch is just a mild improvement in the thrashing of the audio buffers when under swap pressure. I do seem to notice that the worst of the thrashing where sound would stop for several seconds at at time and play silence as often as it plays sound seems to be gone.

More testing is in order. Oh, and you need to test it for several days since rebooting (which you should do after installing) also improves stuttering so it's easy to think everything is fixed when it's not.

--Brad

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brad112358 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Paris
Originally Posted by brad112358 View Post
I have uploaded a patched libpulse0 package, this time, built without thumb instructions:

http://n900.awardspace.biz/libpulse0...+0m5_armel.deb

(...)

--Brad
I can't get the deb I've got an error saying that the file is not reachable adn I should contact the administrator (or something like that). Can someone help me please.

Last edited by Julien_2006; 2010-09-23 at 14:00. Reason: Add instant email notification

The Following User Says Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post: