Active Topics

i'll flash my n900 and test this for you tomorrow savageD in my study period if no ones done it by then

The Following User Says Thank You to xRobby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
"Not at all it doesn't affect it, be warned though, some users have reported problems of their audio being lost after over clocking with the latest kernel. This isn't due to my patches, it's something else and so far it's been a mystery as to the exact cause."

I reread the entire thread you pointed to, and only saw one mention of overclocking. The power kernel was mentioned several times. However, several posters convincingly said they had the problem and they weren't even using the power kernel. I'm just mentioning this because someone might get the wrong impression. In the thread you pointed at, something unrelated to the power kernel or overclocking seemed to solve the problem. (I never had the problem so can't testify directly.)

I like this BoostN900, though I can't promise that it does much. I have made a lot of changes lately and my N900 has turned into a dream, but I'm not sure what exact role BoostN900 played.

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Greece
I applied the patch, but I lost the mic recording in videos and in mydicto application. I restored with the script and the recording came back thankfully.
Afterwards I changed the last amixer commands in the script to
amixer set Capture cap
amixer set Capture 100%
and run it again.
This time I did not loose mic recording and I 'll leave it as it is for the moment checking what has actually changed in performance and battery usage.
I am using power kernel but I do not believe it has anything to do with the mic, working or not.
I also need to understand better amixer parameters.
Keep up the good work.

The Following User Says Thank You to evan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
I applied the patch, but I lost the mic recording in videos and in mydicto application. I restored with the script and the recording came back thankfully.
Afterwards I changed the last amixer commands in the script to
amixer set Capture cap
amixer set Capture 100%
and run it again.
This time I did not loose mic recording and I 'll leave it as it is for the moment checking what has actually changed in performance and battery usage.
I am using power kernel but I do not believe it has anything to do with the mic, working or not.
I also need to understand better amixer parameters.
Keep up the good work.
No actually your right, I'll have to update the patch and fix that problem and right away.

do you by any chance play emulators? You should look for the changes there. I can see how it is hard for users who have overclocked to see the changes in the system UI. However ever you'll definitely see the changes when gaming in emulators or watching flash videos on sites like youtube...they no longer lag on stock kernel.

Last edited by SavageD; 2010-11-18 at 14:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
No dude they are removed completely, believe me I checked .

It just that all the positive effects remain, as if it removed a huge load off the n900 somewhere.
Then you have fallen victim to the placebo effect and inadequate control of your tests. If your hack changes nothing outside of the file system and you reflash the file system and see no regression, then you didn't have an accurately measured improvement in the first place. You just thought you did. There are *lots* of variables here and measurable improvements are not easy to come by, but they are *always* logical. There is no ghost in your phone that was charmed by your hacks. :-)

--Brad

Originally Posted by brad112358 View Post
Then you have fallen victim to the placebo effect and inadequate control of your tests. If your hack changes nothing outside of the file system and you reflash the file system and see no regression, then you didn't have an accurately measured improvement in the first place. You just thought you did. There are *lots* of variables here and measurable improvements are not easy to come by, but they are *always* logical. There is no ghost in your phone that was charmed by your hacks. :-)

--Brad
Test done:-

11 min video
34 min video
10 min pico drive game (same rom)
10 min vgba game (same rom)
20 min vgba game (same rom)
8hr standby (Done when I'm sleeping and phone set to alarm 9:00am every morning)

Battery percentage and mah was noted at the end of each test.

11min video which usually took around 9% of battery life now took exactly 1% of my battery percentage and mah. Same for the 10min vgba and picodrive game.

8hr standby usually took 5% of battery life using the patch it took 1-2%

34min video which usually took 25% battery life took 12% battery life.

The same tests are done repeatedly before I update the patches.

The changes were also notably different in the emulators, Games that were originally crawling in vgba began to run at full speed Youtube videos that which lagged when scrolling or watching em no longer did so. Websites loaded faster, and scrolling became much smoother.

Your gonna tell me that I "didn't have an accurately measured improvement in the first place"? LoL

The changes would be highly noticable, if I were to remove the patches.

I am saying that the positive effects remained even after i removed the patches from my device. Although the sound quality had reset to it's default setting (lower bass).

Edit: Forgot to mention that my device isn't at all overclocked, nor has it ever been.

Last edited by SavageD; 2010-11-18 at 19:17.

I would be so glad if I could play the flash videos from this site without overclocking...
Could anyone try it?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I would try it myself but I can't take the risk right now.

Originally Posted by BLC View Post
I would be so glad if I could play the flash videos from this site without overclocking...
Could anyone try it?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I would try it myself but I can't take the risk right now.
The site Loads up but the main area to show vids do not show up...Probably because of my universitites notoriously slow net, or because we the N900 does not have flash 10.

Yeh the main video doesnt load up on my 3g connection either and i have mine overclocked and used this patch.

The Following User Says Thank You to Viny For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
Test done:-

I am saying that the positive effects remained even after i removed the patches from my device. Although the sound quality had reset to it's default setting (lower bass).
And what I am saying is that perhaps you had something else that changed on your phone at about the same time as when you first applied your hack and that something else was responsible for some or all of the power savings. The fact that you can reflash the part of the system that has your changes and still have the "higher" battery life pretty much proves that.

I'm not trying to insult you; I'm just pointing out that the particular claim I quoted doesn't make sense. Or do you believe in voodoo and magic? In that case I may as well stop trying to apply logic here.

Are you even running the same OS release as when you first applied you hack?

--Brad