Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
For a techie that is a strange stand. Although i agree with you on that a product should be stable when released. For me it has been stable. Much cause i have invested some time to understand the device. I am also a long term linux user. I pretty much now how to reset if i f*** something up.

So my advice for you is to learn the device. You should have the basic knowledge for that.

You have probably installed a bunch of unstable programs from the Extras-devel. Thus thinking the phone is unstable. I bet you did not have this feeling when you first opened the box and started playing with it.

And don't be scared of flashing it. It's pretty straight forward.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by rizwan View Post
OK, creating this thread to moan about N900.
You had me at "Hello"

Never had the OS crash/freeze here. Actually, Microb is the only thing I manage to crash sometimes. That said, I don't use any apps from testing/devel.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You have been avoiding flashing because it shouldn't happen? Does that mean you haven't run any beta programs or programs from devel or testing? If so, you are an extraordinarily unadventurous person. If not, you gotta expect you might have to flash.

I'm not having any problems with my N900, what a bore. But fun.

My bro just bought a Xperia x10 and altough the screen is great, fast processor and stuff, I do prefer maemo over android. Maemo's easier, the UI and the use makes more sense, you have everything at the right place in a more concise way... IMHO of course!

The Following User Says Thank You to ivnvir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Maybe you are right to expect more.

But the way i see it is that I had to endure slopiness from Windows PC's too long to forgive them to take decennia to fit in my pocket, full browser and phone included.

Is there any alternative? The maemo interface is really ahead of the competition IMO.

If you want faster "dns resolving" check Fennec 1.1, It takes ages to load the program but resolves or renders way faster.

Please search harder to solve yr device stability issues. It shouldn 't behave that way as to be unsable.
Clean trial soft and use only stable, proven and for your purpose required apps.
Block ads and scripts in yr browser on unknown websites where possible.
Opening x browser windows and fast switching shouldn t be a prob.

Overclock to 1 ghz if possible for better experience.

GL!

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
You have been avoiding flashing because it shouldn't happen? Does that mean you haven't run any beta programs or programs from devel or testing? If so, you are an extraordinarily unadventurous person. If not, you gotta expect you might have to flash.

I'm not having any problems with my N900, what a bore. But fun.
Thats probably it. I have installed loads of devel/testing apps. Uninstalling them now one by one.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Mine is very stable and fast. Got it in November, use it a lot, but it's never been flashed and doubt I ever will need to. I'm a longtime Linux user too and never reinstall, just troubleshoot and fix whatever. I've had to do almost none of that with Maemo. I've installed stuff from testing and devel, but been careful and conservative.

I use modest to handle 4 accounts nicely, 3 pop 1 imap. Been much better though since I installed this:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56634
Registered Linux user #266531.

the maemo interface and usabillity is better because of landscape mode, it gives you more possibilities!

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by rizwan View Post
OK, creating this thread to moan about N900.
Seriously, WHY?

Why doesn't the tens of already existing threads good enough for your moaning?

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:

Tags
delete me, small minds w/, small problems, worstthreadever