Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by rentze View Post
Oh, I see... Well, then it definitely is RAM, my bad... but in that case it should be possible to disable this kind of swap if it doesn't fit one's expectations. Anyway this is much metter than on-disk swap...
Fortunately the N9 and most 950's still have 1GB:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1400
So that dmesg output must've been from a prototype w/less (512MB) physical RAM

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-03 at 08:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by lma View Post
@Jaffa or anyone else who has received a N950 already: does your dmesg output match the syslog on http://wiki.maemo.org/Nokia_N950_Hardware_Misc?
This was based on RDA to devices at Nokia. It does not reflect the "real" N950s which are being given out to developers:

I'm a bit puzzled/concerned by this:

Code:
Jan  1 04:00:01 (none) kernel: [    0.000000] Memory: 490MB 2MB = 492MB total
whereas I thought it was supposed to come with 1GB like the N9 (RAM isn't mentioned in the firmware release notes).
It does:

Code:
Jul  1 20:08:43 (none) kernel: [    0.000000] Memory: 1002MB 2MB = 1004MB total
Jul  1 20:08:43 (none) kernel: [    0.000000] Memory: 1008256KB available (4644K code, 464K data, 152K init, 0K highmem)
At least I hope they are not using this:

Code:
Jan  1 04:00:08 (none) kernel: [   15.327514] ramzswap: Memory limit set to 65536 kB
Jan  1 04:00:08 (none) kernel: [   15.327514] ramzswap: Using backing swap device: /dev/mapper/encswap
Jan  1 04:00:08 (none) kernel: [   15.352386] Adding 466552k swap on /dev/ramzswap0.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:466552k
Code:
Jul  1 20:08:43 (none) kernel: [    7.706970] ramzswap: num_devices not specified. Using default: 1
Jul  1 20:08:43 (none) kernel: [    7.707000] ramzswap: Creating 1 devices ...
Jul  1 20:08:43 (none) kernel: [    7.749267] ramzswap: Disk size set to 262144 kB
Jul  1 20:08:43 (none) kernel: [    7.767364] Adding 262136k swap on /dev/ramzswap0.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:262136k SS

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by lauksas View Post
why did they cut off the keyboard? realy nice UI concepts, but damn, the niciest thing from n900 is the keyborad, why don't use the n8 format? is just perfect... it just need some improvments on the keys... damn
Actually, a weird thing: the couple of days I've had the N950, I've only opened the keyboard once or twice. The other times the virtual one has been enough.

I don't know if this situation will stay (I never used the on-screen keyboard with the N900, always opening the HW one), but at least these couple of days say I could live also with the keyboardless N9.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Actually, a weird thing: the couple of days I've had the N950, I've only opened the keyboard once or twice. The other times the virtual one has been enough.

I don't know if this situation will stay (I never used the on-screen keyboard with the N900, always opening the HW one), but at least these couple of days say I could live also with the keyboardless N9.
Agreed. I've done similar. The keyboard is nice, but I'm primarily only using it for Terminal + SSH + screen + irssi. If someone came up with an irssi-backed daemon and a Harmattan client (e.g. allowed me to see scrollback, get msgs as IMs etc); I could probably entirely live without it.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
As someone from Harmattan Ui team ( don't know the correct term) in this video said about the multitask to replace widgets.
QML applications can recognize when they're in the minimized (thumbnail) state and can adjust the information they display accordingly.

So far I've seen very few apps take advantage of this, but I'm use there will be "widgets" done this way. When you app is fullscreen, show full info, and when minimized, show only some basic info (now playing in media apps, current temperature for weather apps, etc).

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
yes, but that is not replacement. Its not so effective since you might open one or several apps in between. Also, you can't add your favorite contacts and reach them with one click.

What you can do is, you can star your favoite contacts, but its not the same thing and is slower than widgets on a desktop.

EDIT if you could lock the position of an app in the multitasking view, that could be a replacment for widgets, but not for contacts.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2011-07-03 at 10:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
yes, but that is not replacement. Its not so effective since you might open one or several apps in between. Also, you can't add your favorite contacts and reach them with one click.
An idea: how about writing an application that makes .desktop files for all of the contacts you've favourited and places them in the application launcher folder?

It could even update the icon based on availability status.

As with the N900, we as the community have the opportunity of making the device work the way we want

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
An idea: how about writing an application that makes .desktop files for all of the contacts you've favourited and places them in the application launcher folder?

It could even update the icon based on availability status.

As with the N900, we as the community have the opportunity of making the device work the way we want
Nice, I will request that on meego.com. and look into that when i get a device.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
QML applications can recognize when they're in the minimized (thumbnail) state and can adjust the information they display accordingly.

So far I've seen very few apps take advantage of this, but I'm use there will be "widgets" done this way. When you app is fullscreen, show full info, and when minimized, show only some basic info (now playing in media apps, current temperature for weather apps, etc).
That would be OK for displaying information, but I presume there will not be a way to create an interactive widget (e.g one with kinetic scrolling or text input). I'm not a big widget user myself, but it would be nice to have a fully-functioning widget for my application.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Agreed. I've done similar. The keyboard is nice, but I'm primarily only using it for Terminal + SSH + screen + irssi.
So how is the terminal with the on-screen keyboard? Screenshots welcome :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????