Active Topics

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
In case I might have stumbled upon something interesting:

http://www.roalan.com/Bluetooth%20Wi...0Converter.htm

I truly have not the foggiest idea whether this fantabulous contraptation would work with an Internet Tablet though.
The USB bluetooth adapters are much cheaper and have serial ports (COM) built in.

Looking here shows USB to Serial adapters starting around $7 shipped.
Again, look at my earlier post in this thread where I suggest that you can borrow the 5v from the serial device to which you are connecting. In fact,you might get lucky and find that the 5v pin on the DB9 is already hooked into the 5v suppy to the USB.

I kinda figure that these USB to serial devices have a chip in them that identifies them as a USB serial device, now if the device identies itself as a mass storage device, then the kernel will know what to do with it, will it know what to do with a USB/serial converter

Thanks, Fanoush! Thank you everyone. I'd left my PC hardware reference manuals in my car a few weeks ago, and it was stolen that night. The links to the various pinouts are really appreciated.

Last edited by hackjackal; 2007-09-03 at 01:10.

I looked at http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howt...f69e45ed6335fc

Did someone find out if this appeared as a device similar to /dev/ttyS1 or not?

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
I've connected com lines to some kind of connector mounted on my n770 for additional usart but when I enable it via R&D flags I've got reboots from "hands" again and again. Removing these bit's allow for normal boot.
I can't figure why it's keeps rebooting.

I worked on this a while back and got good results.

look at this thread for details ->
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=23033

To test the interface i would suggest linking rx and tx together, opening the port ( i like pyserial for quick dev ) which will appear as a ttyS0 and send data out and it should echo back if you have everything set up correctly.

Originally Posted by dewzenol View Post
Looking here shows USB to Serial adapters starting around $7 shipped.
Again, look at my earlier post in this thread where I suggest that you can borrow the 5v from the serial device to which you are connecting. In fact,you might get lucky and find that the 5v pin on the DB9 is already hooked into the 5v suppy to the USB.
I wonder if a USB to ethernet RJ45 would be more useful. I see them for ~$5. Anyone yet networked a N770 with one of these?

billj

No, the reason I want the serial connection is because it is more useful. Why is a serial port more useful than a Ethernet connection to a sys.adm who is stuck with a nearly unbootable blade at 1am in a data centre?

There is a chap in Canada who sells known to work RJ45/USB connections for the n770. Cannot remember his web site. Perhaps someone knows?