Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
You can also click the edit button in the server-list dialog, and enter channels before connecting. Or Just dimply connect and then type "/join #maemo"

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 505 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Israel
I would like to report a success story for a n810:
Installed e17 from deb on mer 0.11 - internal card.

I managed to get network-manager alive with cnetworkmanager (command line interface). I didn't install the pixbuf gtk engine due to dependency hell.
The temperature module works, i like alot.

All of the rest is quite pleasing. I stayed with midori that apperantly is not crashing on e17 as in maemo.

4 questions though:
1) How can I remove/resize widgets after adding them to the desktop?
2) Indeed a lot of features are missing, are there packages for complimatory modules I can install? (like On Screen Keyboard....)
3) What is the 4 squares icon in the upper shelf for? could not find it in google...
4) Does anyone familiar with a nice gtk theme with wide scroll bar I can use?

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by damagedspline View Post
I would like to report a success story for a n810:
Installed e17 from deb on mer 0.11 - internal card.

I managed to get network-manager alive with cnetworkmanager (command line interface). I didn't install the pixbuf gtk engine due to dependency hell.
The temperature module works, i like alot.

All of the rest is quite pleasing. I stayed with midori that apperantly is not crashing on e17 as in maemo.

4 questions though:
1) How can I remove/resize widgets after adding them to the desktop?
2) Indeed a lot of features are missing, are there packages for complimatory modules I can install? (like On Screen Keyboard....)
3) What is the 4 squares icon in the upper shelf for? could not find it in google...
4) Does anyone familiar with a nice gtk theme with wide scroll bar I can use?
1.) You can click on the desktop or e and you'll pull up the menu, from there, you can click "configuration" then click Modules to change which modules are loaded. Once you have set a module to load you can load that module to the shelf (if it is a widget) by clicking the menu, then clicking "configuration" and then hitting "shelves". (I think). I'm just going by memory at the moment.
2.) If you use the single deb install method, then you will have all of the modules installed. If you would like any other modules, you can build them by running the easy_e17.sh script. But, really, this method should build most of the modules that you're likely to find usable anyway. The deb e17 packages in the Mer repo don't have the modules, because my virtualbox install of Mer died before I got around to making the package and I haven't had time to fix it all yet. I should eventually, but I put this method aside for a while since the other method already works.
3.) Not sure which icon you are speaking about, but it could be the desktop switcher icon. Normally, you'd like to right click to edit shelf settings, but I can't seem to get right click working in Mer (in any window manager). So, you have to edit the shelf like I described above).
4.) If you find such a theme, let me know. Also, you should try the illume module in e17 as it makes it pretty finger friendly on the NIT vs the normal setup. Hopefully, the dependency problems will be resolved soon with the pixmap gtk engine.

Glad to hear you've had a pretty good experience so far.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-04-10 at 19:24.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 505 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Israel
Hi neatojones,

Regarding 1... I was referring to the widgets you add to the desktop. Once added, I found I am unable to resize or move it once it is set in its location. Maybe it is related to the right click being missing...

2) I'm still missing the OSK... A few weeks ago I installed the e17-svn, but I kept getting seg faults. I could not retrace the reason. So I just installed the e17 packages.

3) I was referring to the icon with 4 squares which is in the left in the middle extractable upper shelf in illume. When clicking on it, it sometimes open a shelf at the bottom which have at the middle the same 4 squares icon. Still could not figure out what its for

4) I am using illume and pretty much enjoying it. I installed claws-mail epiphany-browser and pidgin which serve most of my needs (except for music and voip). I will report in if I find a nice finger friendly gtk theme.

TIA

Originally Posted by damagedspline View Post
Hi neatojones,

Regarding 1... I was referring to the widgets you add to the desktop. Once added, I found I am unable to resize or move it once it is set in its location. Maybe it is related to the right click being missing...

2) I'm still missing the OSK... A few weeks ago I installed the e17-svn, but I kept getting seg faults. I could not retrace the reason. So I just installed the e17 packages.

3) I was referring to the icon with 4 squares which is in the left in the middle extractable upper shelf in illume. When clicking on it, it sometimes open a shelf at the bottom which have at the middle the same 4 squares icon. Still could not figure out what its for

4) I am using illume and pretty much enjoying it. I installed claws-mail epiphany-browser and pidgin which serve most of my needs (except for music and voip). I will report in if I find a nice finger friendly gtk theme.

TIA
1. In illume: To change the size of the top bar's icons you change the scaling. Just look in the configuration part for the scaling module setup. You can also change the icon size of the desktop and hidden icons in another part of the configuration. If you do this, remember that scaling will effect these icons too so, you may need to adjust them after you change the scaling.
2. The seg faults must have been related to the daily svn checkout you had installed (must've been a bug). I've installed it multiple times, usually without problems, but occaisionally running into problems like that..upgrading to a new snapshot usually fixes most things. If you really enjoy e17, I'd try giving the svn install another shot sometime since the results really are the best.
3. That's the window selector. Open a few applications and then click it. You should then be able to select between apps or the desktop.
4. Sounds good. Sound support should be coming to Mer soon, as I understand it...so maybe you'll have that soon.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
http://blog.gustavobarbieri.com.br/2...ready-to-rock/

might be a good idea to track.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oh, that IS good news. I like the fact they're moving towards a stable freeze / development cycle. It was weird building the E17 system and having it break in different places from day to day...

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
http://blog.gustavobarbieri.com.br/2...ready-to-rock/

might be a good idea to track.
Should I wait for a this more stable updated release? Now that the Mer wifi is fix, I was gonna take another test drive installing this app. As anyone tried it in Mer? How does it look?

I have used E17 in Mer and it does work. The drawback is that many of the tablet optimized apps don't work so well with e17 because the have been hildonized and in doing such, they no longer have menus.

For those interested...I started a maemo garage project for E17 in Mer/Maemo and it has been approved. Hopefully that project and the one Stskeeps linked to above will help us get this organized and working. Also, if you're interested in this, I'd love to get any help I can get with it.

As an aside. The project Stskeeps mentioned above should help us out quite a bit in the long run, but might take a while before it will produce anything usable for us. So, it's still best to stick with the install instructions at the beginning of this thread for now (they take a while to install, but the results are very nice).

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
I have used E17 in Mer and it does work. The drawback is that many of the tablet optimized apps don't work so well with e17 because the have been hildonized and in doing such, they no longer have menus.
Ok. I will make an attemp and see how that goes and report back later. Thanks

Tags
mer, ubuntu