Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Regarding SDK, we had organized hackday in Helsinki and feedback from people attempting to use the SDK and commenting on it within their communities or blogs or whichever. Quality feedback - including many who got involved to help improve the SDK. Code is king. Talk is cheap.
Because this forum will continue to exist, talk will be cheap and easy for everyone in the maemo community. Because this community will contine to exist for the benefit of its members, maemo code for mobile devices will remain openly available.

I am certain many maemo community members would have liked it to be more practical for them to particpate in the SDK hacking event or would like some easy way to contribute to the SDK. Why not put the source on the Internet or at least available to trusted maemo community members under a non-disclosure agreement?

After earlier saying the SDK will be open, we now have this statement about the SDK - "we will make the binaries available in early Q1 2013" Why not the source? There is also now some indication that there will be closed software (other than drivers) in the Jolla device.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Engadget pod cast about Jolla SailfishOS

Link here

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Because this forum will continue to exist, talk will be cheap and easy for everyone in the maemo community. Because this community will contine to exist for the benefit of its members, maemo code for mobile devices will remain openly available.

I am certain many maemo community members would have liked it to be more practical for them to particpate in the SDK hacking event or would like some easy way to contribute to the SDK. Why not put the source on the Internet or at least available to trusted maemo community members under a non-disclosure agreement?

After earlier saying the SDK will be open, we now have this statement about the SDK - "we will make the binaries available in early Q1 2013" Why not the source? There is also now some indication that there will be closed software (other than drivers) in the Jolla device.
Fair criticisms, much of which has already been raised here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87764&page=18
Please continue any related follow-up responses in the above thread.
The docs associated with that thread will be organized/formatted & sent (formally) to Sailfish(Jolla) in the next 24hr or less.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think it would be very good for the TMO community members and jolla, just to know that "Some" users have access and are able to contribute. I'm more intressted in who than what they are doing specifically. That way the whole TMO grows stronger at the same time as sailfish does. Even if i'm very interested in the SDK I realize that I'm the not the one that should have access to it. But I would love just to know that some members are selected by jolla and have access and that they are contributing with their expertise. Just to know that TMO is involved makes it much more fun. It's not really the same as the Board or other community leaders have access to privileged information related to jolla since they are(as far as I know and know very little of them and their dev skills so forgive me if I'm totally wrong here) not really master coders.

Anyone from TMO have access more than STSKEEPS, possibly?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
(WTF?)Anyone from TMO have access more than STSKEEPS, possibly?
Erm, what are you talking about...
Post away here, just try to make it a bit more comprehensible*
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87764&page=18

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
After earlier saying the SDK will be open, we now have this statement about the SDK - "we will make the binaries available in early Q1 2013" Why not the source?
I cannot speak for Jolla, but my reading of that statement is the binaries will be available for those people who don't want to build the SDK from source.

If I want to create an application it's sufficient for me to have a binary SDK.

If I want to make a table - or a wooden sailboat - I don't believe I should have to start with seeds for a tree.

I saw nothing more sinister than that in the Q/A.

But I may be wrong.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Here is a clarification of the SDK received by the Hildon Foundation:

As you know, Sailfish is for developer purposes equal to Mer Core + Nemo MW and Sailfish UI.

Having that in mind and spirit of openness, the SDK has been developed and is developed within the framework of the Mer and Nemo projects which serves as good places to develop this. Mer's Platform SDK is the basis of the backend for the Qt Creator frontend.

The Qt Creator sources that work with this backend is linked in Sailfish wiki and the backend is described in http://img.merproject.org/images//we...121115-132446/ (.ks file) and associated OBS projects in the public community OBS. The page https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Pla..._on_VirtualBox also describes it quite well.

Nemo has been used as a reference for application development and the current API offering right now is that of OpenGL ES2, Qt4 (as is in Mer) and the middleware APIs in Nemo. We're working on extending the API offering in Sailfish but at the moment it's equal to that of Mer and Nemo. Hence Sailfish SDK = Mer SDK at the moment.

The Mer SDK is as with anything else in Mer (Mer itself, Platform SDK, etc) for the purpose of taking, customizing towards vendor needs, so there'll be more Sailfish specific things coming as the API offering evolves and that'll be provided as future updates of Sailfish SDK.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Quick Heads-up on Recent Jolla News

-Sailfish SDK will be available for download in early 2013

-Marc Dillon, Jolla’s CEO (COO) Met Finland’s president @ presidential hall in Helsinki.
Marc Dillon Shaking hand with Finnish President

-Running Sailfish on the Nokia N9 is technically possible, but the experience will not be optimal.

-Jolla is working on improving Sailfish all the time. What we saw at the Slush launch recently is only a preview and there will be changes to the UI – after-all it’s a work in progress.

-Sailfish OS is being ported in the community to various devices. Jolla will not support existing devices.

-Sailfish runs very well on “low end” devices as well.

-Sailfish is RPM based not DEB.

-Engadget had a conversation about Jolla in their latest podcast. (Skip to 1:37:47)

Click here to listen to the podcast

-Jolla will will disclose more information regarding develeoper programs during next year.

-Jolla is rapidly becoming a Finnish-Chinese Hybrid.

"-Running Sailfish on the Nokia N9 is technically possible, but the experience will not be optimal.

-Sailfish runs very well on “low end” devices as well."

Does this mean the N9 is even worse than "low end"???

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
"-Running Sailfish on the Nokia N9 is technically possible, but the experience will not be optimal.

-Sailfish runs very well on “low end” devices as well."

Does this mean the N9 is even worse than "low end"???
Apart from the 1GB or RAM everything N9 core hardware is low end at best.

An excellent condition to show the beauty and scalability of Harmattan (or Jolla) OS.

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?