Notices

Hi,
I've installed Wesnoth from the repository and the game startsup ok, but apparently there's some problem with the fonts; I just get empty dialog boxes and empty menus...

Any suggestions?

hi there, same problem here... this is my first post, so hello everybody!

I have this issue as well, are you on Chinook or Diablo? I'm on Diablo and have this issue, I'm going to try it on Chinook when I get a chance.

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
There is a bug in the dejavu font packaged for Maemo. I built a more recent version from Debian that doesn't have this problem, and I'll try to remember to upload it somewhere so people can try it.

If that fixes the problem for people we should probably file a bug against the Maemo package so it can be fixed and distributed properly.

I've encountered this problem as well. Is there a new version of the font package available somewhere? Is there any other known workaround?

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Okay, here is my solution. No need to build a new DejaVu package, no need to install defoma, new font libraries, or anything like I was trying before.

Install the ttf-dejavu package from extras. If it doesn't show up in the package manager (I can't remember it it does or not), install rootsh (you are going to need it later anyway) and open the terminal. Type this line:

Code:
rootsh apt-get install ttf-dejavu
Now, still in terminal cp (or ln if you want to save some space) the dejavu file to wesnoth, like so:

If you want to cp (I did):

Code:
rootsh cp /usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf /usr/share/games/wesnoth/fonts/
Linking should look like this:

Code:
rootsh ln -s /usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf /usr/share/games/wesnoth/fonts/DejaVuSans.ttf
You might get a warning when you link if the file already exists. Remove it (rootsh rm /usr/share/games/wesnoth/fonts/DejaVuSans.ttf) and try again.

Hopefully this works for you. It does for me, but I am running a newly built 1.4.5 version that I compiled. If anyone is interested, I should be able to release this version somewhere. It fits very well on the screen, runs smoothly, music works (with a patched libsdl-mixer), and hasn't crashed that I have found.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
wohaaaa!!!
a new version???
please please please a upload!!11!!11!
you are my heeeroooo
edit: if you need space just contact me!

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2008-10-31 at 16:50.

zehjotkah: I don't think I ever ran the old version, what is the gaming experience like? Does everything fit on the screen? How is the speed?

I am working on getting the new version cleaned up, and hopefully put into extras-devel for testing. It will take a few days, though.

Let me know if there is anything in the old version that you feel needs fixing. I'm not saying I can fix it, but I will see what I can do.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
slow after getting some more units..
really slow at startup..
sometimes a crash
but everything fits on the screen at 800x480 resolution
here you can see how it looks like and download some campaigns too
http://wesnoth.garage.maemo.org/

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2008-10-31 at 17:59.

A smooth, stable version with working music? I would love that. Until then, I'll try out the font fix and see how it goes.

Update: I've made the font fix and it works great. Wesnoth is now fully playable.

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 2008-11-01 at 13:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to nobodysbusiness For This Useful Post: