Notices

I wonder if it is possible to install an encyclopedia on the Nokia 810. There are many times - driving in a car - when Internet connection is unavailable, and there is a question that comes up. 'Twould be nice to just look up an answer.....

Thanks.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The easiest (but not necessarily most elegant) way is to install Wikipedia Offline Reader which is available in Extras-Devel and Garage. This has also been discussed in various other threads.

Many thanks, but I haven't a clue as to how to go about it, and I haven't been able to find the older threads....perhaps my search perameter is incorrect.

Originally Posted by mollyf View Post
Many thanks, but I haven't a clue as to how to go about it, and I haven't been able to find the older threads....perhaps my search perameter is incorrect.
That's ok, because allnameswereout's post was the second time when Wikipedia Offline Reader was mentioned in this forum

And I believe that he meant Wikipedia Dump Reader which is available from extras-devel repository since some days. Dump Reader is quite slow, but usable, though enwiki is probably too big for tablets and current version of reader.

see https://wiki.maemo.org/Extras for extras-devel repository.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Hmmm. OK.

Go to http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras#Extras-devel and install the Extras-Devel repository.

Now open the Application Catalogue, Browse 'All', go to the 'W' of Wikipedia and there you install Wikipedia Dump Reader.

Once you started it follow the instructions on the bottom and save the file on your SD card. Be aware some databases might be too big for your SD card. Especially the English one is big.

LOL. ^5 mikkov

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Calculating of the search index will take hours (~3-5 for fiwiki which is 163MB .bz2) on tablet. Index can be made with PC by using scratchbox or installing reader from http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=65244 to linux pc

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Bristol, UK
Trying to get this working for EnWiki - though I have 7 gigs left on my card, the file won't copy across to it! (error code -1309 on a Mac - a frustrating thing to see after nearly an hour of watching the file transfer!)

Is this a known problem? Are there alternatives? Any recommendations of which version of the dump file (in English) does work?

one problem would be that fat32 file system's maximum file size is 4GB. Solution would be to find smaller dump file or format card to some better file system.

Enwiki indexing would probably take ages on tablet too.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Wikipedia for Stardict is an alternative, but I'm not sure how big the database would be.

Stardict is actually otherwise better, but formatting is pretty bad. Sdict wiki files which i've seen are quite old and thus smaller than the current dump of the enwiki.