Active Topics

Ok so hi, I'm new , and I need a nice long list of reasons to by an internet tablet (770 or n800) so that I can justify it to myself and someone else, I really really want one but I dont know if thats just because I'm a male and crave gadgets or not....

I'm thinking reasons like mp3 playing facilities, web browsing whilst on toilet, games, movies? - how is playback speed? - choppy?

Things like that,

All answers greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
there are plenty of reviews and comments regarding the questions you are asking about. Search google and the forum. If you can't find the answers to your simple questions the last thing you need to do is buy this device.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Vancouver, WA
I had this same issue...
called several 'techie' friends...and said, "I'm calling for you to talk me out of buying a $400 N800"

they failed and #1 of the 4 bought one himself, #2 of the 4 WANTS to buy one himself, but isn't really linux savy enough, and #3 has a Zaurus instead..#4 tried to convince me to get a laptop for $100 more...

But a.) who wants to carry 7 lbs around with them to watch a movie/play music/check&reply to email, chat over IM with friends, browse the web?

the n800 does all of your DAILY leisure-time computing activites...
if you need something with power and heat and noise...by all-means avoid the n800 cuz it's light, cool, sleak, GOREGOUS DISPLAY, and mobile.

I don't regret the $400 purchase one tiny bit

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Let us not forget the wonderful world of GPS navigation. By adding an additional BT GPS, and using MaemoMapper you will have a full featured GPS navigation system. Things I use my IT for:

google things from anywhere. and other web browsing

WEBMAIL

Instant Messaging (Yahoo, MSN, Googletalk, AIM, Sametime, and more)

pulling up recipe's in the kitchen.

GPS Navigation

Movies, playback is great

MP3 / FMradio / Streaming Audio (Streamtuner and others)

Games, got to have some amusing games (mame also cool)

Hacking, both from the device and on the device is always fun

VNC (Server and Client) and Remote Desktop

GPE todo, contacts,

This is the things I use it for, and I love it. Is there some quirks, yes. Is there some crashes, yes. Could I live without my n800, not happily

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
If I may add

try to find a PDA of which the (hacked) OS can evolve as fast as the N800
try to find a PDA with this screen
try to find a PDA that will accept today 8, 16 GB and soon 64 GB of storage

My reasons are simple:

1. The scrreen
2. Hackability and future support from the open source community
3. A real computer in the palm of your hand.

and lastly i typed this on my n800 while streaming internet radio while doing othher stuff , that flexability is what i wanted.

Wow, cool thanks, I ordered a 770 yesterday from Expansys, I thought to myself, if I dont really like it or use it enough (which is doubtful) then I can always sell it on ebay and get around the same price back as there arent too many on there nowadays,

I like the idea of sat nav so perhaps one day I'll find a cheap bluetooth gps module etc, I also like the media streaming (canola looks loverly ) I already have a psp but that sucks at rendering pages, I'm hoping that the 770 will manage to render my most visited forums etc and some sort of google reader - probably reader mini. I constantly read jkontherun and love the umpc idea, this will get a step in the right direction I hope,

Thanks for helping me with my guilt, just gotta wait ages for it to arrive

on the class, you r bored, and you can use a internet tablet -- why not a psp or ndsl? coz your teacher will give you a 0% participant mark if you play a lot -- the internet tablet makes you look like a good student.

Originally Posted by gzmask View Post
on the class, you r bored, and you can use a internet tablet -- why not a psp or ndsl? coz your teacher will give you a 0% participant mark if you play a lot -- the internet tablet makes you look like a good student.

True, I'm hoping to take it with me so that I can use it like a planner, with music and stuff, keep me entertained during lunch and break too

If you are a system administrator it's really useful, so you can have connection to all of your machines from it, ssh, rdesktop, vnc, etc....

And if you get a bluetooth SU-8W nokia keyboard, then it's perfect, all the conectivity you could need in some grams