Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hello, hello.

Something that may be useful to other app developers, especially if tying in mobile apps to web apps and vice versa -

I feel like there is an easily accessible Unique ID string for every device, like a mac address.

Does this exist? If so, any ideas how to access it? (bonus points if it's in python)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
The IMEI number of the device can be retrieved:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.phone.SIM /com/nokia/phone/SIM/security Phone.Sim.Security.get_imei

(Sorry, no Python example; I don't know python-dbus and my dbus-glib knowledge is quite bad anyway...)

Two things returned (in this order):
* IMEI as a string
* An int32 (which says 0 here)

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
An n8x0 Python hack to get MAC address:

Code:
import os

for line in os.popen('/sbin/ifconfig'):
    if line.find('wlan0') > -1:
        mac = line.split()[4]
        print mac

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
An n8x0 Python hack to get MAC address:

Code:
import os

for line in os.popen('/sbin/ifconfig'):
    if line.find('wlan0') > -1:
        mac = line.split()[4]
        print mac
Nice idea but MAC can be easily spoofed. IMEI is legally not supposed to be changed as I believe it's programmed in at low level. This is also the number used to bar handsets reported as stolen from networks. Should therefore work as unique number for any device.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Could one not install something like macchanger to spoof or get mac? I've used such a thing on Ubuntu a few years back when messing with WEP cracking.

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Should therefore work as unique number for any GSM device.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Linux uses vendor:device hex codes as in 046d:c03f for my Logitech mouse. Udev uses these to identify devices as well in /lib/udev/rules.d. Here's an example of rule file 50-video.rules which I created to set special mount points for video devices.

KERNEL=="video*", SYSFS{vendor}=="0x4444", SYSFS{device}=="0x0016", SYSFS{name}=="ivtv0 encoder MPEG", SYMLINK+="video/pvr150"
KERNEL=="video*", SYSFS{vendor}=="0x109e", SYSFS{device}=="0x036e", SYMLINK+="video/bttv"
KERNEL=="video*", SYSFS{vendor}=="0x046d", SYSFS{device}=="0x092e", SYMLINK+="video/webcam"

Hopefully this will give you some hints on where to look as it relates to Nokia tablets.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Linux uses vendor:device hex codes as in 046d:c03f for my Logitech mouse. Udev uses these to identify devices as well in /lib/udev/rules.d. Here's an example of rule file 50-video.rules which I created to set special mount points for video devices.

KERNEL=="video*", SYSFS{vendor}=="0x4444", SYSFS{device}=="0x0016", SYSFS{name}=="ivtv0 encoder MPEG", SYMLINK+="video/pvr150"
KERNEL=="video*", SYSFS{vendor}=="0x109e", SYSFS{device}=="0x036e", SYMLINK+="video/bttv"
KERNEL=="video*", SYSFS{vendor}=="0x046d", SYSFS{device}=="0x092e", SYMLINK+="video/webcam"

Hopefully this will give you some hints on where to look as it relates to Nokia tablets. Note that will identify the device as in vendor and model and isn't like a mac address which identifies a port on the network.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by fragos View Post

Hopefully this will give you some hints on where to look as it relates to Nokia tablets. Note that will identify the device as in vendor and model and isn't like a mac address which identifies a port on the network.
I think the vendor/device code is only suppose to be unique per product, not per physical instantiation of a product. For instance, when plugged into a PC, all n800's should export the same USB vendor/device ID, but every n800 should have its own unique default wlan MAC address.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Could one not install something like macchanger to spoof or get mac? I've used such a thing on Ubuntu a few years back when messing with WEP cracking.
even simpler -

ip link set wlan0 address 11:22:33:44:55:66

...but one has to have ip tools installed, which I didn't find last time I tried n900 with RDA... :-/ and the device driver has to support this functionality, of course

Tags
maemo 5, n900, python, unique id