Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Originally Posted by Wiener View Post
The power jacs / micro usb seem to be SMD only (I remember a post some weeks ago! - someone has references?). This is inappropriate for parts on which forces (i.e. power jacks ...) are applied frequently - and this is the case! ... my N900 is loaded each day (sometimes all 2 days).

I don't understand why Nokia wanted to save the parts of a cent for drilling two holes ... guess in some months or years we all will have to bring our devices to Nokia.

For EC guys: This is a CONSTRUCTION ERROR - and therefore IMHO can be claimed even after 2 yr. EC warrenty ....
Yes, so it seems. If this is correct, it is unbelievable, since it is simply a matter of time before they all come apart. We can only hope that it is a production error on some specific units.

The connector is supposed to be fastened to the chassis/print board with the wings.

http://www.heilind.com/products/mole...connectors.jpg

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Is that week 49?
Not sure how to tell this. How do you tell?

Edit: Just looked on the box, mines week 49. What week is yours nbkjbmj? Or anyone else that has had this problem.

Last edited by Magel282; 2010-01-03 at 08:32.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Yes, so it seems. If this is correct, it is unbelievable, since it is simply a matter of time before they all come apart. We can only hope that it is a production error on some specific units.

The connector is supposed to be fastened to the chassis/print board with the wings.
Ok, who'se volunteering to open they're perfectly working N900 to check if the wings are fastened in other units (Not me - I'll keep my warranty, thank you.)

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
So are you people saying that connector wrigled out of box for you? Because mine doesnt at all but i'm still afraid because it just doesnt feel that sturdy.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
Originally Posted by slender View Post
So are you people saying that connector wrigled out of box for you? Because mine doesnt at all but i'm still afraid because it just doesnt feel that sturdy.
no, connector itself does not wrigle at all, we talking about movment of usb plug when it is inserted into n900

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
I feel the same way. Each time I connect/disconnect I fear it may be the last. lol
The strange thing for me is that sometimes I plug in the ac adapter and it does not start to charge. I then unplug and plug back in and it charges, anyone else experience that?
I'm experiencing something similar but probably worse. The N900 seems to know the USB cable is plugged in, the device is charging and its set to either Mass Storage Mode or PC Suite Mode. But my laptop doesn't see it. I can't hotsync, there's no mass storage mode, nothing, nada, zilch--no N900 as far as my laptop (and every other computer in the house) is concerned.

To make matters worse, my Bluetooth stack is borked, so many BT functions are non-functional too. I believe that's a Windows issue, but I'm not sure.

I have dropped this poor phone a few times on hard pavement, so I think I have probably dislodged the USB port and now t's completely fubar. I'll be looking into sending it somewhere for service on Monday.

Sorry to hear that, at least it's under warranty still. My issue with no charging while in standby is a known bug that I see has been resolved on the internal builds. The next firmware that is released is supposed to rectify my issue.

I liked the old 2mm connector. It didn't need soldering because it didn't need to care about usb signal integrity.. Easily and quickly replaceable too.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Ok now this has me worried. When the port broke on our pre-pro unit that was one thing, but we now have 3? reports of this on production devices =/ and still no signs of improved structural integrity.

Its starting to seem like the achilles heel of an otherwise sturdy device.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
i wish on the n900 they put the old style charger too would be handy and just use other port when needed as plug better

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty