Posts: 29 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Somewhere in Europe
Amazing app!
Donating too, development of such app deserves it!

The Following User Says Thank You to cube48 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Version 0.4.4 uploaded to extras-devel. First post updated. Changelog:
* Implemented flyby to target location using intermediate zoom levels.
* Added close and task manager buttons in landscape view.
* Added support for markers (only one marker now - search result) - almost complete in 2D, not working in 3D.
* Added search feature - still incomplete and only CloudMade.
* Added arrow indicating direction to current gps position (if outside screen).
* Distance from screen center to gps position (press C).
* Better usage of tiles from other zoom levels.
* More tile providers by default.

Caution: your providers.ini will be overwritten - you should backup it before upgrading. Default providers.ini includes following providers:
  • OpenStreetMap I (OSM slippy map)
  • OpenStreetMap II (tiles@home)
  • OpenCycleMap
  • Google Maps
  • Google Satellite
  • Google Hybrid
  • UK OS Maps
  • Virtual Earth Maps
  • Virtual Earth Satellite
  • Virtual Earth Hybrid

Few more things: search query is currently blocking main thread - it will freeze whole app until search results are returned and downloaded from CloudMade server. This will be fixed soon. CloudMade search is also very basic - it works for some input strings ("city", "city, street", period is important). Other search options (including Google) will be there soon. Search markers do not work correctly in 3D mode. There will be a menu with description and some actions after tapping on search marker. Currently nothing is displayed.

Other than stated above: please post any bugs you have noticed and any problems during upgrade.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
very nice map application

i wanted to know if you will support language specific characters in the search query? f.ex ø-Ø æ-Æ and å-Å buttons dosent work in the search bar (nothing happens when pressed). Here in denmark, alot of our streetnames / cities contains these three characters.

Regardless of this, its amazingly smooth and the gui is very nice thank you for putting time into this.

Originally Posted by mthmob View Post
very nice map application

i wanted to know if you will support language specific characters in the search query? f.ex ø-Ø æ-Æ and å-Å buttons dosent work in the search bar (nothing happens when pressed). Here in denmark, alot of our streetnames / cities contains these three characters.

Regardless of this, its amazingly smooth and the gui is very nice thank you for putting time into this.
This is high priority for me too but there are some technical issues. I am using SDL 1.2 right now and it is lacking proper language support (by this I mean UNICODE input support). On the other hand newest SDL 1.3 has support for UNICODE input but does not work with OpenGL ES on N900 right now.

SDL 1.2 handles characters from keyboard easily and that includes simultaneous key presses. But it does not support characters that need some additional on-screen menus (blue arrow + sym on N900).

Can you enter those characters using key combinations only?

Not sure if it already got asked, but is it possible to download more than one map and switch between them ?

Originally Posted by NokiaRocks View Post
Not sure if it already got asked, but is it possible to download more than one map and switch between them ?
Tiles from different providers are stored in separate directories. It is totally possible to use more than one map. However there is currently no batch download functionality in CloudGPS.

I have loaded this onto my phone and it works great!

Version 0.4.6 uploaded to extras-devel. First post updated. Changelog:

* Added support for Google map search (press S to switch between CloudMade and Google).

* Search is now done in background - not blocking rest of UI.

I spent some time optimising this build. It has a little reduced preloaded area, better texture memory management and smarter prioritising of tiles to load.

Transitions between old and newly load tile is temporarily disabled in this build. It sure feels like it is working faster because of that - tiles are not delayed for display after loading. Old behaviour was to wait a second for some tiles to load and then fade between old tiles and newly loaded ones simultaneously on whole screen. You could see this this animation when changing zoom level or changing tile provider.

Future builds will have a configurable option for those transitions. Let me know what you think about this new loading behaviour. Do you think it is better?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I just tried this application first time and I have to say that I'm impressed. Excellent work!

hi great app. Yes I prefer the loading behaviour latest build. 0.4.6 Thanks.

Tags
best gps app