Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
One of the corporate moves that signal a selling is when the company willingly splits into divisions. I think beginning this year, the profitable network division and maps division were segregated from the loss leading mobile division. The same was done by Motorola, because then they can prime to sell division by division if the need arises. It makes it a palatable offering to would be buyers, because no one wants to buy x and get x plus y and z in the process.

As far as conjecture goes, even Apple could buy it on the basis of they can afford it more so than most of these companies.

Intel needs this more then Windows because they have been marginalized out of the burgeoning mobile market, and the PC market is both shrinking and opening up to ARM. Intel lost in the graphics department with there Banshee push, and the netbook surge has died off. If the Mac Book Air as rumored goes over to Apples ARM based A5's and A'n' processors then it signals that OSX is being converted for ARM use. Intel is definitely being squeezed from multiple angles, but they still have a wide market spread and have some time to change the tides ... but I'm sure they realize the headwinds are not in their favor.

For MS, it just shows they over payed for Skype and the folks over at Google are shrewd because they got more than Skype for $4 billion more. MS I think because of the Skype deal is in a tougher position, and if talks had been ongoing between Nokia and MS, the Motorola deal does a lot to raise Nokia's valuation ... that is why stock prices are rising, Nokia is a prime buying target but is valued more than Motorola.

We can also make the same wild conjecture of Amazon wanting to get an in into the mobile market. They are releasing tablets and phones soon, why not come in with a brand besides Amazon.

Same goes for Acer, as they have made some hardware but they haven't had any real traction to date. Acer wants to becmoe more Apple like, so why not scoop up Nokia and make that push.

Samsung is in the pits with Apple right now. They can gain wide leverage against the patent trolling, get acess to MeeGo as an alternative to Android and find a place and audience for the Bada OS as well.

What will be clear is if Nokia was to sell. Only the mobile division seems to be on the chopping block. Nokia will exist but no longer as a Phone maker.

Personally I think this was a self made injury dating back to the inaction's of OPK and his team. Nokia was garbage by the time Elop came in, but he did accelerate the burning platform. Little did we know at the time the burning platform speech was made ... that Elop like Emperor Nero ... would play the violin while Rome burnt. But definitely OPK started the fire, although the guy who was last there is etched into history.
Well well well IMO the next one to be sold is Sony Ericsson, then HTC.

The problem with Sony Ericsson is that the best buyer is already Sony, but if they decide to sell, just about anybody could purchase.

HTC is on the top now, but can only go down being pressured from all directions, particularly Samsung, LG and ZTE, and soon also Nokia and Googorola. HTC got no IP to speak of. If Intel is purchasing someone, this could be it. A good brand with the most flexible manufacturing capacity of them all. HTC could sell intel powered MeeGo/Microsoft handsets/tablets in half a year if needed while still continuing with Android and WP.

What you are saying about Nokia is a company that's in trouble, not a company that is necessarily willing to sell. Nokia is not giving up, they are, for the first time in years, proactively restructuring, refocusing and chopping of/ending what should be ended/restructured years ago. You can argue that WP is not the best choice right now, but you cannot argue that Nokia isn't fighting to stay alive. And what do we see? WP is getting more and more positive attention for each day. They are not acting like a company that wants to be sold.

But keep on dreaming, pretend you will get your revenge at Nokia for giving up on Maemo/MeeGo when big bad M$/Intel eats them alive. LOL, you are funny. If MS or Intel is to purchase Nokia, I will eat my e-hat for breakfast.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Google bought Motorola mobile division purely for patents. I don't think that NOKIA will be cost effective purchase for the other giants who already have huge patent portfolios. Google was especially vulnerable as compared to the others. I don't think that NOKIA purchase is a logical next step.

Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
ericsson

Now there was a manufacturer... the best phones I've ever ever ever owned

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Google bought Motorola mobile division purely for patents. I don't think that NOKIA will be cost effective purchase for the other giants who already have huge patent portfolios. Google was especially vulnerable as compared to the others. I don't think that NOKIA purchase is a logical next step.
Just wait until they divide Nokia and sell divisions separately. Even in Motorola case there was a split - Google bought Moto Mobile only.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Nobody makes no allusions as to the dire situation Nokia is in. I get the issues Elop was brought in to handle, but because of the drastic "ripping the bandage" type of action undertaken at Nokia to even begin the transition has really exposed quite a bit of underlying weaknesses with Nokia.

The realization that Symbian wouldn't cut it; albeit public really created massive losses for Nokia. Choosing to go WP7 solely had made the level uncertainty too much, and revealed that OPK had many years to transition towards Maemo but dropped the ball. Nokia has lost credibility, and that is why investors have become skeptical and consumers have become even more so hostile. Also CEO's are of different Pedigrees, Elop is first and foremost the Mergers/ Acquisitions type of CEO. The next billion with S40's and 150million Symbian by 2015 were fantastical numbers that this community even found quite hard to believe and the projections are not looking favorable. Obviously if Nokia can make such an error, how can we begin to believe that WP7 will be a success? Nokia doesn't have the timing to wage a slow war where WP7 increases market share ever so slowly year over year. They need instant hits, across all product lines and the first negative report countering that narrative will spell big problems for Nokia.

Nokia can't even sell its hardware wherever it chooses anymore. They speak of phones and shelves with carriers being limited, but they forget to mention that at most 1 WP7 will be ready by years end and not a single N9 that is ready by September will be available at stores for Christmas and Holiday shopping spree. The truth is MS made it so that N9 never sees the light of day to the wide world market.

I have tried WP7, and said it many times before that it is actually a solid device albeit some things can be better. The issue with Nokia is that they leveraged the entire company on WP7, and I find it hard to believe that WP7 can make that difference. They should of did both Android and WP7 ... why not, what is stopping them?

So overall things don't look good and odds are Nokia will fail to revive, but it is doing a dual track plan. It is making it pretty to sell, and that has the highest probability of occurring. It doesn't take a genius to figure out ... WP7 if it doesn't sell well then Nokia is kaput, so what are the chances of that occurring. The guys who want solely patents can wait till negative numbers implodes Nokia stock. Those who want to protect Nokia's game plan have really a lot to lose ... remember MS will be taking a double risk, one that their OS is successful and another on Nokia as a business. The one who'll most likely make a move now is the company that wants to make a move into the mobile arena or strengthen it's mobile division. I think Samsung and Intel are key players in this arena. The deal between MS and Nokia isn't worth buying Nokia over ... they already have a bunch of partners, they may make some sort of arrangement where Nokia is partly invested in by MS as a minority stakeholder to ensure it gets through aggressive takeover bids and probably Nokia needs to cut the dividends, but that won't be good for the stock holders who only value that right now.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MoJo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Just take a difference - "wants keep" vs "can keep". Intel can keep WP7 because it has a full infrastructure of relationship with M$, a lot of ready decisions "how to do" for Windows etc. For Intel it would be a simple and non-expensive to switch Nokia's/M$ WP7 developers to Intel-based CPU from ARM.
Again, the main problem is that WP7 at Nokia is bad business, both short and long term. Nobody is going to throw tens of billions at Nokia and watch how they land in MS pocket. BTW, I think to end all MS hopes it would be sufficient just to continue with MeeGo an release N9 worldwide, Elop isn't desperately killing Symbian/N9 without reason.

Actually, switching WP7 to x86 processor could be quite a problem. Despite the big words about how Nokia has special influence on WP and how easy it is to port WP to new HW, Nokia was forced to abandon its long term partner TI and go with Qualcomm... And this is same platform just different SoC.

On the other hand MeeGo and Linux are already running on atom.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
If Motorola really had plans to go WP7 I'm now nearby to say: "Great google! I love you!"
In this case a big win for google. But they have now to avoid bewilderment at the other Android vendors, this could get very negative in the long therm.

IF Intel buys Nokia this could be the same case for MeeGo. The same like it was 2 years ago. Intel asked back then for other partners beside Nokia. But for Samsung & co was the influence of Nokia too big.

Intel builds Chips and Hardware... nothing for end customers...

BUT Intel is the biggest chip manufacturer at the desktop systems and where are they at the mobiles?
Currently they have no chance, ARM is there the big one. And now Tablets are growing with ARM and Windows 8 will suppert ARM, too. So soon we could see desktops with cheap ARM instead of Intels i86. Microsoft pushed their .NET runtime compiler and guess what is now the BIG BENEFIT? Yes, you don't need to recompile the .NET applications if the runtimes are running at a different architecture.

intel - you're screwed!

So the benefit for intel would be the control of Nokia. I'm sure they wouldn't abadon WP7. Jeah, right. But they would push MeeGo as a second devision with tablets and handsets with a intel Atom core inside. They have to do something or ARM will get more and more marketshare and intel will loose a lot of their current business!

Last edited by Helmuth; 2011-08-17 at 09:55.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by dumpystig View Post
ericsson

Now there was a manufacturer... the best phones I've ever ever ever owned
Unfortunately that namebrand is associated with a different quality around this part of the interwebs...

Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
But keep on dreaming, pretend you will get your revenge at Nokia for giving up on Maemo/MeeGo when big bad M$/Intel eats them alive. LOL, you are funny. If MS or Intel is to purchase Nokia, I will eat my e-hat for breakfast.
Could we get that on tape? Youtube is also valid.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
So the benefit for intel would be the control of Nokia. I'm sure they wouldn't abadon WP7. Jeah, right. But they would push MeeGo as a second devision with tablets and handsets with a intel Atom core inside.
What a ridiculous statement -- WP7 is ARM only.

If Intel buys Nokia (which is not gonna happen, Microsoft's alpha-dog already pissed all over Nokia) the very first thing Intel would do is axing WP7 plans.

The Following User Says Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:

Tags
gogle-mogle, google motorola, motogoogle, motogrogle, never say never