Notices

It still isn't working here. I tried turning my tablet on and off and re-installing MChronos, but I'm getting the same behavior (absence from screen) as before.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
belanger:

This is surely a strange problem! I have my tablet plugged in, with screen dimming turned off (for now), so that the applet continually runs. If the problem is somehow 'time-of-day' related, hopefully I will see the app crash at a 'particular' time. At this point, I don't know what else to try

I installed MChronos from extras-devel yesterday and I'm having the same issues as belanger. I check it in the applet dialog, close, it doesn't show up, and it's unchecked in the applet dialog. Good luck figuring it out; let me know if I can help.

Well, I have run the applet for almost 2 days now, and it appears to be running *OK* again. Maybe one of you guys can post your 'mchronos.ini' file, so that I can try to duplicate your experiences. I realize that this is just a 'shot in the dark', but I don't know what else to try!

A long time ago, when I was developing it, I tried to do so under 'scratchbox', in hopes I getting error messages and other debugging assistance -- but I couldn't get it to do so. If any of you have scratchbox yourself, please give it a try!

Originally Posted by darethehair View Post
Maybe one of you guys can post your 'mchronos.ini' file, so that I can try to duplicate your experiences.
I put a copy of my mchronos.ini at the end. I don't think I ever did anything to change it from what was originally installed, though.

I'm sorry that I can't help more with this.

--- mchronos.ini --
[location]
longitude: -98.1
latitude: 49.2
[gps]
#mode: on
#mode: lock
mode: off
timeout: 5
time: on
#time: off
[style]
graphics: bar
#graphics: circle
text: on
#text: off

I am losing more and more hair (from hair-pulling) over this issue -- I am now back to a non-working state. I had successfully un-installed and re-installed the applet, and ran it, but when I re-booted it no longer works. Some degree of 'caching' must occur with applets in order for this to occur i.e. I had a working version in the 'cache', and only when I rebooted was the cache cleared and a non-working state reestablished. Ack!

Since I had done nothing of significance to make it *start* working in the first place, I am currently unable to repeat whatever 'magic' I used to do so

Good news -- I think!

Would anyone care to download and try my 'fixed' version of MChronos? It is at the typical place:

http://darethehair.googlepages.com/software.html

It is also in the maemo 'extras-devel' repository, which I would also appreciate someone trying sometime -- so that I can (in good conscience) get it put up to the 'extras' repository

If this new version works, I will know why, and I will briefly explain 'why' it does.

Originally Posted by darethehair View Post
Would anyone care to download and try my 'fixed' version of MChronos?
It works like a charm.
Just in time, too; with your talk of pulling your hair out, I was worried you'd become Dare the Hairless.

It is also in the maemo 'extras-devel' repository,
Since it got updated automatically here, I think that's where I got it from.

If this new version works, I will know why, and I will briefly explain 'why' it does.
Okay; why?

belanger:

Thanks for testing it and confirming correct operation

Now that you mention it, it would be deceptive of me to call myself 'darethehair' if I was, in fact, hairless! Fortunately my hair grows back after incidents like this.

Explanation? I still believe that some level of 'caching' occurs, which then misleads me during my program development i.e. after making changes, it makes me think that it is still working, when in fact in has become broken -- but this only reveals itself during the next reboot sequence (?!). The 'mainline' had two statements that were not valid:

correct:

def hd_plugin_get_objects():

incorrect:

def mchronos_init():

In other words, it looks like the name 'hd_plugin_get_objects' is *not* arbitrary. In the examples I had looked at to learn how to write applets like this, I don't recall this being mentioned

correct:

ini_file = '/usr/lib/hildon-desktop/mchronos.ini'

incorrect:

run_dir = os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(sys.argv[0]))
ini_file = os.path.join(run_dir, 'mchronos.ini')

I am not sure why this does not work, but I suppose it has something to do with the fact that this is a desktop 'applet' regular than a regular application. I don't like 'hard-coding' like this, but that is the method that works.

Anyways, now the original 'benefits' of the new edition should at least be usable by whomever uses this applet. As well, now that someone 'legitimate' has used 'extras-devel', I can try -- for the first time -- getting it moved to 'extras'!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darethehair For This Useful Post:
I updated using extras-devel and in now shows up!
Good job figuring it out. Now I need to do some customizing....

Thanks!